Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just blow $300 on the prop shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Did I just blow $300 on the prop shaft?

Since I can't go a day without doing *something* on the Disco, I decided to Seafoam the engine again today before heading on a ski run (50 miles round trip) and then change the oil when home (been 1000 miles and wanted to see what it was like). So, under there doing the oil and what do I see? A grease nipple by the u-joint on the front prop shaft. WTF?! I thought it was original and just ordered a new one. I have a bit of a vibration and wanted to play it safe, but I'm thinking more and more the vibration is not prop shaft related. So here is what I have... do I stick with it or continue with the new inbound shaft?
The front joint HAS one grease nipple in the valley of the cross on the front joint closest to the engine.
The rear of that front shaft (double) does not have one. This is the only one I checked last time and figured if it didn't have it the front would not either. So, is this a rebuilt unit? The shaft itself looks like the original (same brand). Was the front of the unit rebuilt and not the rear? Should I still continue to go about replacing this or save my money? I gave it some grease and it didn't take all that much. Also, on the rear shaft of the truck there is one grease nipple in the u-joint and one on the shaft itself. Is that it back there? I don't want to be missing anything else.
BTW... I'm officially done as of last night with changing ALL the fluids in the truck out... and on number 2 for the oil
Here is the front u-joint on the prop shaft. And yes, I did go through the articles about what the new joints look like but I'm still a bit confused and wanted to know from you all, and also if I should change it out still or not.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE4MjAtMjAxMTAzMDEtMjE1MS5qcGc.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  34.3 KB

Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

No, you're good. The single joint is grease-able the double joint was not. Your new part should have 3 serviceable joints, and you should be able to grease the slip portion too.

Last edited by jafir; 03-01-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added an R
Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I do not know about your year.. but my '03 prop shaft-before it went..... only had a fitting on the front as well never had one on the rear. So my guess is that what you have is an original. SO go with the inbound and grease often.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't look to be rebuilt unless I am wrong.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One fitting on the front joint and a plug on the slip joint is stock. You can remove the plug and put a zerk on it to grease the slip joint. If it was a rebuilt one with aftermarket joints you would have grease fittings on the double cardon U's as well.

PS. Once you switch over to a greaseable unit make sure you grease it every oil change.

Last edited by photocrimes; 03-01-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by photocrimes
One fitting on the front joint and a plug on the slip joint is stock. You can remove the plug and put a zerk on it to grease the slip joint. If it was a rebuilt one with aftermarket joints you would have grease fittings on the double cardon U's as well.

PS. Once you switch over to a greaseable unit make sure you grease it every oil change.
YUP, what he said. It's a stock grease fitting.

RAVE, page 658
"The Hookes joint is lubricated during manufacture and sealed for life. A grease nipple is installed in the universal joint
to lubricate the serviceable, sealed needle bearings of the joint.
The sliding spline joint is sealed with a gaiter and
lubricated through a lubrication point on the tube."

You should have rebuilt it yourself. It's fun

Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
I didn't like it, but that's because I couldn't remove the centering ball. We tried all of the tricks listed everywhere and nothing worked. Finally a buddy of mine used his welder and we welded a big bolt to it, and then used a HUGE slide hammer, like for pulling axles, and after beating on it countless times it finally came apart.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coors

First off, thanks for all the responses. I have studied this forum and the RAVE and just got more confused. I know the previous owner put a lot into it, and I thought tonight maybe this too. I thought that you could not grease it at all with the exception of that plug you could install a nipple in. *phew*
And coors...as fun as it might be that was a big pass for me! I thought about it, but from seeing what others had said I opted out of that one quickly! All the shops around here wanted $300+ to rebuild it (gotta love the NYC metro area for pricing on anything), but found the new one for under $300 all said and done when I return my core. I'd gladly spend the extra hundred or two to not mess something like that up and spend an entire day teaching my little boy what swears to say!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you went to a drive line shop and they wanted $300? or you went to a mechanic? for $300 you can nearly get a brand new Tom Woods.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you read this thread?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302

Specifically the first post, the section that is headed:
Checking to see if yours has been rebuilt

Quick Reply: Did I just blow $300 on the prop shaft?