Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the shuttle valve fix. Amigos gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did the shuttle valve fix. Amigos gone?

I spent the evening with an ABS amigo and some quality time under the hood to tackle my intermittent 3 Amigos.

The only code stored in SLABS was for the shuttle valve problem despite having the intermittent Amigos for the past year.

Anyway, I did jycsalas' fix and it started up with no lamps.

I'm assuming that there's a self check at startup and any ABS issue will make itself known should there be something terribly wrong.

Since I'm clean after a test drive, is it safe to assume that I didn't muck up the ABS system?

Asking because I wanted to get jycsalas' ABS Amigo back to him ASAP.

meltdowndave,
mildy incompetent mek-a-nik.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your ABS/TC/HD work, after I did the repair I had no lights or codes and went and tested to see if it actually still worked, it did and I have been "lights free" ever since.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious which fix you did? Did you do the one where you remove the shuttle valve assembly and cut the plastic housing and resolder the pin or did you do the one where you just remove the switch and rewire it to avoid the circuit board.

I'm planning on doing the latter one in the next week or so.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Just curious which fix you did? Did you do the one where you remove the shuttle valve assembly and cut the plastic housing and resolder the pin or did you do the one where you just remove the switch and rewire it to avoid the circuit board.

I'm planning on doing the latter one in the next week or so.
I rewired it.

BTW, you don't necessarily have to remove the 8 allen bolts connecting the two halves of the ABS modulator unless you just want to look inside.

Just loosen the modulator's 3 retainging nuts and remove the rubber mounts. Lift it up and remove the 3 allen screws from the bottom. It took me 45 minutes to get them all out and then back together.

Everyone else, I took it out for a test run in the mud and snow this AM. The conditions on the old logging roads were perfect for this sort of test.

Anyway, the brakes pulsed as they should during a high speed stop in the slick, the TC worked as the tires searched for grip going up hills and the HDC engaged going down some gnarly hills that probably should have been passed over.

Three hard runs and not the first lil' buddy.

Thanks to jycsalas for the ABS Amigo and an incredibly easy to follow write up.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
I rewired it.

BTW, you don't necessarily have to remove the 8 allen bolts connecting the two halves of the ABS modulator unless you just want to look inside.

Just loosen the modulator's 3 retainging nuts and remove the rubber mounts. Lift it up and remove the 3 allen screws from the bottom. It took me 45 minutes to get them all out and then back together.
I will update the write-up to make this clearer although it specifically says

Under the option C and the now updated step #38 =)

Last edited by jycsalas; 12-06-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
I rewired it.

Just loosen the modulator's 3 retainging nuts and remove the rubber mounts. Lift it up and remove the 3 allen screws from the bottom. It took me 45 minutes to get them all out and then back together........

Did you do bleeding after this, before you take it to test drive?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by yuenie
Did you do bleeding after this, before you take it to test drive?
I didn't have to bleed it as I never disconnected the brake lines.

That's the beauty of J's write up

Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How the hell did you get it to where you could get the shuttle out without taking the pipes off it? I didn't think his writeup said that was possible...

Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Baylink
How the hell did you get it to where you could get the shuttle out without taking the pipes off it? I didn't think his writeup said that was possible...
call me if you want to discuss it more.

But if you look at steps #25 - 29 all you need to do is loosen the brake pipes from the bulkhead, remove the rubber mounts and support the unit high enough to remove the screws for the SVS cover plate.

LET ME KNOW WHAT I NEED TO CLARIFY IN THE WRITE-UP SO OTHERS DON'T GET CONFUSED...

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Another quick question : I see that one end of the YG wire goes to the connector, what about the other end (ie, the end which goes to the ABS connector).

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Did the shuttle valve fix. Amigos gone?