Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Didn't pass inspection..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Spike,
I agree with you that the truck does not have enough miles to get a diagnostic read for the OBD. I have a code reader and my service engine light comes on in my 2000 because my 7th gas cap is bad, BS! I clear my codes before emmission and I have to make sure I drive at least a week for it to get a reading. I trede to clear the codes in line one time and it came back with the same readings as listed above and went into the station for an explination for my truck failing and they said,"did you have work done on your car lately? Because your codes have been cleared lately and they are unable to get a reading. You need to drive around a few days and come back and see if your OBD computer has had time to make a reading." Also just my experience and not the same for everyone.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to you both. My scanner is capable of reading evap. codes, etc., that's why I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting the codes that they were getting (they wouldn't give me the codes, just the failure report). When they couldn't tell me what the codes meant, I questioned their abilities right off.

Spike555 it makes perfect sense that because the battery had been disconnect for
a couple of months, it would take a bit of time for the computer to reset and bring the readings current. I think you are exactly right, Not Ready sounds a lot different than System Failure....OMG I'm almost giddy right now...I'll let you know what happens...Thanks guys

Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Three Wheeling

drive it more....
i was having issues on my maxima after cleaning the throtle body and SES light came on...it would rev to high on idle, and i was gettign a bunch of errors... to had it fixed it would be about 1000$ job
found on line how to do the ECU reset and other learning procedures using the key and brake pedal. it worked fine. but anytime i would shut it off and back on i wold have to do it all over...
when i had to do the inspection... i reset the bcu and went to the mech.... it FAILED because there was not enough data on the ECU. had to drive it for 50miles then it passed with no problem
then went to the nissan dealer here and all it neded was a ECU reset (100$) and runs as new.
when reset or left without power the ECU will loose all the data and needs to be driven for a bit before it comunicates with any scaner
anyway ----"NOT READY"---- DRIVE IT some more before you try the inspection again....

Last edited by xhevi; 08-06-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
That was not my experience but it could be an explanation. When I changed my bad O2 sensors out and scanned my truck (without driving it). The diagnostics ran fine, there was no driving required to get all the tests to pass.
Probably because you didn't clear your codes.

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Well I'm sure there is more to it than either of us know but I just can't see a engine management system that would fail a diagnostic due to not driving enough. I could be wrong though.
EVERY OBDII compliant engine management system will show the I/M tests "not ready" (this isn't a failure, it's simply not ready) after clearing the codes. These I/M tests include catalyst, evap, o2 function, o2 heat, ac leak (only CA models), EGR, and SAI . In most states, newish vehicles (say 2000 and up) can have one I/M monitor "not ready" and still pass inspection/emissions (which is a good thing, because evap can take a really long time).

Any decent inspection mechanic will look up the "drive cycle" on ALLDATA or similar, go do that drive, and then see if the I/M monitors are online. This is very, very basic stuff for anyone who inspects or works on OBDII.

If you don't have drive cycle data for a particular vehicle, you resort to the generic one:
-Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
-Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
-Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
-Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
-Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
-Decelerate with using the brake [or the clutch!] by coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.

I know the Disco 2 one is slightly different, but don't have access to ALLDATA right now. If anyone is really interested, I'll pull it the next time I'm by the garage.

Also, OP: run like hell from that mechanic. They are not qualified to touch a vehicle with OBDII if they gave you the information you posted.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
4wd Low

I have talked to a "Real Land Rover Mechanic", unlike the monkeys I took the Rover to for the inspection and he has said all of the same things that you guys are saying.
Says up to 4 drive cycles before those items readjust enough to reset. I didn't ask him if he could reset to factory settings and then pass it for inspection.
I have Alldata membership, so I'll take a look at that. Thank you for that suggestion.
I will NEVER take my Rover or anyother vehicle back to the "monkeys".
Thanks for all your helpful information, you guys were right on the money. I'll let you
know when I get my sticker!! Janet aka icyhot201
You guys are awesome........

Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear

I had the same experience with my scanner. I went to have the vehicle inspected by DMV in Delaware after having cleared the SES with my scanner. After clearing the light, it showed the same diagnostic codes. The technician at DMV told me to run the vehicle for a few miles and it will reset. I had codes 1415 and 1412 which was dealing with a malfunctioning SAI Solenoid Valve. I replaced the valve, cleared the above codes with the scanner one more time and ran the vehicle aproximately 50 miles. All of the diagnostic codes are now clear. Just as Spike555 stated, this is a system that electronically verifies or checks your driving cycle and it clears the codes after a period of driving. Delaware DMV will not pass emissions if any of the systems are not ready. I hope this helps.