Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel conversion feasible in 03 Discovery??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
If it's not his daily driver, and he parts it out, then there is 5 or 6 grand of that diesel conversion taken care of.

Personally, I'd love to see it.
I see one quite often

Originally Posted by KBW
Not my daily driver and what all would I have to part out to get 5 grand? If I could get 5 and then only have to add 5 more I'd definitely do it.

What is the name of the diesel engine that was used in the 03 or 04 discovery's?

Anyone know what I'd gain or lose in terms of hp/torque/speed/weight/efficiency/etc?
It was not just used in the 03 04, the TD5 (as its known) was used in ALL D2's.

Hp you will loose, its about 136hp standard, but EASILY tuneable to 200hp with a stage 2 tune... Torque about same as the V8, but lower down in the range, weight, well not a lot in it tbh. Speed, well its no where near as quick as the V8, but its a 2 ton brick for playing in the mud not flying round the streets, oh yeah.........about 28-32 MPG btw

Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Not to POP your bubble, but Oh Well,what the Hell, you can't do a conversion on any D2 unless you plan on replacing the t/case and tranny. With an after market engine and now no ECU to run the tranny, you are high and dry, that is why people who do the conversions do them on D1's with no electronic tranny.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking a Mercedes 5-cylinder diesel conversion into my D1. I think that would be an awesome setup.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
I see one quite often
And I'm jealous! I haven't told anybody here, but I want to live in the UK one day. I actually started planning it all out last summer. There was a flat in Liverpool I was looking at, I was filling out paperwork for my passport, I had gathered all the required paperwork to apply for my visa...and then the economy went down the crapper. The USD was worth about half of the GBP, I was stuck in my apartment lease for another year, and my plans just sort of fell apart. Maybe I can visit one day, but I have to save up lots of £££ before I can even imagine moving across the pond.

Originally Posted by AK Rover
I'm thinking a Mercedes 5-cylinder diesel conversion into my D1. I think that would be an awesome setup.
Is that the same Inline-5 I had in my old 300SD?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Theres no diff in the transfer box on Diesels or V8's, so dont see why you cant do it

The Auto box is identical for the 4.0 v8's, and only 15mm longer for the 4.6, buts it operation is the same. So cannot see an issue with that either, although some additional wiring may be needed between the Auto ECU and the Diesel ECM.

if you got the time and money its 100% possible.

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 05-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by tornado_735
And I'm jealous! I haven't told anybody here, but I want to live in the UK one day I actually started planning it all out last summer. There was a flat in Liverpool I was looking at, I was filling out paperwork for my passport, I had gathered all the required paperwork to apply for my visa...and then the economy went down the crapper. The USD was worth about half of the GBP, I was stuck in my apartment lease for another year, and my plans just sort of fell apart. Maybe I can visit one day, but I have to save up lots of £££ before I can even imagine moving across the pond.

Is that the same Inline-5 I had in my old 300SD?
Why my friend ? this country is done for m8, Im looking at a way out...............just to many people on to small an island, and with the current economic issues, its the normal "middle of the road" tax payer thats goona get hammered for years to come.

Look elsewhere If I was you.......

The following users liked this post:
notquitejames (07-24-2019)
Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Theres no diff in the transfer box on Diesels or V8's, so dont see why you cant do it

The Auto box is identical for the 4.0 v8's, and only 15mm longer for the 4.6, buts it operation is the same. So cannot see an issue with that either, although some additional wiring may be needed between the Auto ECU and the Diesel ECM.

if you got the time and money its 100% possible.
Tranny is electronic and will not operate off of an aftermarket ECU, If you can't use the tranny, you probably won't be able to use the t/case. As for differences, the tranny has many similiar parts buty is set up for a diesel, the t/cade has a different gearing the one of your Diesels.
Bottom line, unless he wants to gut that truck, a D2 can't be converted , much less get past the state and feds.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Not to POP your bubble, but Oh Well,what the Hell, you can't do a conversion on any D2 unless you plan on replacing the t/case and tranny. With an after market engine and now no ECU to run the tranny, you are high and dry, that is why people who do the conversions do them on D1's with no electronic tranny.
So obviously it is going to take a lot of work. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and do it. Looks like it'll take some research but the guy above your post has a D2 with a TD5 so it is doable (I didn't look to see if he lives in a country they are sold though). I drive a g37 as my daily and two restored vehicles as well. The disco can sit for a month or so and I just received a nice bonus that will more than take care of the cost. Talked to my roommate and he is anxious to do some research of his own on this project and help me out.

My tranny is about done anyway. Previous owner had it running almost dry and it makes a lot of noise.

This weekend I'm going to make some calls and source an engine. Will keep everyone updated on the process.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a D2 can't be converted , much less get past the state and feds.
We have absolutely zero tests or inspections on our vehicles. I have nothing to worry about at all with the state or feds. No way in hell my 64 chevy would come close to passing

Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Tranny is electronic and will not operate off of an aftermarket ECU, If you can't use the tranny, you probably won't be able to use the t/case. As for differences, the tranny has many similiar parts buty is set up for a diesel, the t/cade has a different gearing the one of your Diesels.
Bottom line, unless he wants to gut that truck, a D2 can't be converted , much less get past the state and feds.
This maybe true, but who said use an aftermarket one, use a TD5 based one, then all will be good. Easy to get hold of over here and cheap as well, not worth even entertaining a "generic" one.

the only diff really is the autobox front housing that mounts it to the engine, obviously the TD5 and V8 are different, but behind that, its all the same........Ashcroft transmissions can supply an Auto box with the correct bell housing for a diesel easily, its all down to how big your pocket is.

if you have some specific questions, send Dave Ashcroft an e-mail, Im sure he will help and iron out the facts. http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/

On NAS market vehicles from 03 model year, the ZF 4HP24 transmission unit is introduced for use with the 4.6 litre
V8 engine. This transmission is required to accomodate the increased power output of the larger engine. The ZF
4HP22 transmission remains in use on vehicles with Td5 and 4.0 litre V8 engines.
Both transmission units are of similar construction, with the ZF 4HP24 unit being 15 mm longer than the 4HP22 unit
to accomodate a larger fluid pump. The operation of both transmission units is the same.

Engine mountings would be another of the big considerations, but that would be expected with an engine swap.

And as far as the t/case goes, I can find no ref to what Mikes saying..........they are identical imo, but he my be able to show the info ?

KBW, if you go ahead with this, then good for you buddy, I dont see that many issues at all really apart from time + cost, and I can say this, "if" you do it, then it will be the first of many I bet

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 05-01-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Diesel conversion feasible in 03 Discovery??