Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff between Ttrack and Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
The truetrac isn't a full locker.
This is why I thought they were preferred to be used on the front. As they are safer to use on the street. And less prone to binding under turning. I guess all this is up to personal opinion. Seems Like TruTrac and Detroit locker are more value for the money. At about $1000 less than install the ARB kit

I meant to say HD axles for the rear, not 24 spline.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
what diff type are in there stock then?
You have 3 open diffs, front, center and rear.
The Traction Control stops the spinning wheel and by doing so torque is sent to the other wheel by the physics of the open diff.
Open diff means that the power is sent to the wheel with the least resistance.
So with one wheel in the air and the other on the ground the one in the air gets all the power.
Stop that wheel and now the other has less resistance and it gets the power.
A locker locks both wheels together, so they both get equal power, the one in the air and the one on the ground.
A limited slip diff uses a automatic clutch to lock the 2 wheels together when wheel spin is detected, one wheel spins faster than the other and the clutch locks up so both wheel spin at the same speed, thats all it knows, to keep both wheels at the same speed.
You need to use a limited slip diff gear lube for it to work properly, the LSD gear lube has friction modifiers in it so the clutch will grip while covered in lube.
If you use standard gear lube the clutch will slip and the LSD will not work properly.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Team Owner
Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
A limited slip diff uses a automatic clutch to lock the 2 wheels together when wheel spin is detected, one wheel spins faster than the other and the clutch locks up so both wheel spin at the same speed, thats all it knows, to keep both wheels at the same speed.
You need to use a limited slip diff gear lube for it to work properly, the LSD gear lube has friction modifiers in it so the clutch will grip while covered in lube.
If you use standard gear lube the clutch will slip and the LSD will not work properly.
The trutrac is actually a torsen style diff, and is completely gear operated, no clutches and no special fluids required, but also never fully locks up. But hey, if this style was good enough for the Humvee....

Torsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jafir
The trutrac is actually a torsen style diff, and is completely gear operated, no clutches and no special fluids required, but also never fully locks up. But hey, if this style was good enough for the Humvee....

Torsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good to know.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
This is why I thought they were preferred to be used on the front. As they are safer to use on the street. And less prone to binding under turning. I guess all this is up to personal opinion. Seems Like TruTrac and Detroit locker are more value for the money. At about $1000 less than install the ARB kit
I was just addressing the "One wheel revolution slip and it locks up the front to full lock".
Which is of more value is totally an individual thing.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

As already mentioned, the T.T. is not a limited slip system, it is fully geared and after a full revolution of a slipping tire it will lock, completely and stay that way till you let off of the gas.
I run a rear Detroit with a front T.T. and swear buy it and can say, I have never been stuck from lack of traction.
One plus side to the T.T. is that you can do serious wheeling climbing a steel angle turning through rocks and not have to keep looking and unlocking the front end, like you would with an air locker.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
As already mentioned, the T.T. is not a limited slip system, it is fully geared and after a full revolution of a slipping tire it will lock, completely and stay that way till you let off of the gas.
I run a rear Detroit with a front T.T. and swear buy it and can say, I have never been stuck from lack of traction.
One plus side to the T.T. is that you can do serious wheeling climbing a steel angle turning through rocks and not have to keep looking and unlocking the front end, like you would with an air locker.
straight from the Eaton website.

The Detroit Truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket as an Eaton brand. It remains the leading helical gear-type limited slip differential in the industry. Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintenance free traction recognized not only for its toughness, but its smooth and quiet operation as well.

Proven design, low cost and effective performance all make the Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential the ideal choice for a wide variety of vehicle applications. No maintenance - Just Traction

Performance Products | Detroit Truetrac Differentials

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the Detroit locker require the use of hd axles?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ebg18t
Does the Detroit locker require the use of hd axles?
Usually the type of driving that would require a locker or trutrac would require heavy duty axles. People have used stock axles, and have had no issues, but other people have broken things. It is also possible to damage the locker by breaking an axle shaft.

Quick Reply: Diff between Ttrack and Detroit?