Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff/TC oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What about your tranny while you are under there?
Good point might as well. Any oil preference?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Valvoline Maxlife full synth is the preferred tranny fluid unless you want to spring for M1. As I recall it needs to be Dextron III or better fluid.

For the tranny, the truck does need to be elevated because you have to fill it with the engine running, and the cats are right there wanting to burn you as you fill it.

There a procedure in the RAVE, it's pretty much "put some fluid in, start the truck, change the gears a few times, top it off until it's overflowing, insert the fill plug, then shut the truck off."

Obviously you need to reference the RAVE, but my point is you'll end up under it working right next to the cats while it's running. So the elevation helps quite a bit.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did the diffs today. Biggest mess ever since that hand pump linked earlier in the thread exploded due to viscosity and I got diff oil everywhere. In the end I used a small funnel with flexible output shaft. I did not lift the car, just got under it, held the funnel in place and poured about 1/8 of a bottle at a time. The stuff is so thick it takes forever to drain through the funnel, but it does and once you get the hang of it, it makes minimal mess. Rear was much easier than front due to experience.

PS -- how does one clean oil from concrete. I got it everywhere

Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

Cat litter to start with. Grind it in with your shoe.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by potxoli
I just did the diffs today. Biggest mess ever since that hand pump linked earlier in the thread exploded due to viscosity and I got diff oil everywhere. In the end I used a small funnel with flexible output shaft. I did not lift the car, just got under it, held the funnel in place and poured about 1/8 of a bottle at a time. The stuff is so thick it takes forever to drain through the funnel, but it does and once you get the hang of it, it makes minimal mess. Rear was much easier than front due to experience.

ha, dawn and a power washer. works every time.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by potxoli

Worst pumps on the planet!! Fine to pump water but 85/140 forget it!!!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Mudding

In the past I have put the bottles of gear oil in boiling water for 10 mins then it runs like syrup!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
ha, dawn and a power washer. works every time.
labor day project!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered new fill plugs before i changed the diffs. Good thing. They were destroyed getting them out. Ended up using Vise grips to get them out.
I replaced them with the original plastic P'sOS $8 bucks for a metal plug is ridiculous I saw them on some rover parts website.
Good idea heating oil. Did mine in may on a cool day. took awhile

Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

try using a garden sprayer next time holds two gallons and you can pump it up before climbing under the truck, no 90wt running down your armpit.

Quick Reply: Diff/TC oil change