Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Lock Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the solenoid is toast is it recommended to replace or completely remove it. Also have any of you been successful fixing the problem by taking out the center console, removing the rivets and accessing the TC from inside the vehicle?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Apestit
If the solenoid is toast is it recommended to replace or completely remove it. Also have any of you been successful fixing the problem by taking out the center console, removing the rivets and accessing the TC from inside the vehicle?
You can replace or remove the solenoid for successful shifting into low range. I removed the center console, rivets, etc. and removed the solenoid from inside the vehicle. I believe I did have to crawl under the truck for a couple of bolts that were impossible for me to reach from inside. It was the worst job I've done on the truck yet, beating out motor mounts and spark wire replacement (both with and without removing intake manifold). I considered replacing or refurbishing (I believe this is possible?) the solenoid but didn't care to have a part in there that could seize up again in the future. My low range works fine.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Apestit
You can do the entire job from inside the vehicle, like Naïve said, it's a bit of a pain to reach the solenoid, and hard on your fingers. But doable. I removed mine completely due to being tired of SOMETIMES being able to put the rig in 4-low, and that SOMETIMES was when I NEEDED it!! No worries now.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

So, there is a solenoid that actuates 4 low??
And it can be removed, so cable only locks cdl in low??
Reason I ask is that my 04 won't go in 4 low.
I *assumed* it was the cable, based on very little reading.
I have 10 or more things to fix on the whole truck before I get to that. It'll be last. As I'm going to have to drill some crossmember bolts before I can remove the transfer case. I have a seal kit for it, then change fluid.
Is there a solenoid on the transfer case that I should check, or remove, while I have the transfer case out?
Thanks for any info.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry, going back tho this thread. Does it mean that the solenoid is damaged when the shifter wont go all the way to the left and engage the CDL lock. I can move it to high low, need a lot of force but wont got to the left to lock. With any experience, is it the solenoid or the cable?
Thanks

Old 09-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

The cable. Could also be the actual linkage on top of the case, but probably the cable.

There is not a solenoid for the diff lock function, only Hi to Low.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:23 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Will you be able to see the condition of the cable from under the truck or you need to remove up to the rivets? Thanks

Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

Moving the CDL from locked to unlocked and back should not be difficult. It requires much less force than moving from Hi to Low and back.

And just to confirm, you're doing this on an '04, correct?

To test you could go under the truck and remove the lever from the T-case nipple, or remove the cable from the lever, and try to lock and unlock it by hand. The CDL nipple can be rotated back and forth with a 10mm open-end wrench. That would also let you confirm whether or not the shifter cable is operating smoothly.