Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differentials and computers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differentials and computers

I heard mention on another thread that just because the ABS light is on doesn't necessarily mean that the ABS won't work. That got me to wondering, if the three amigos are all on, could all of those systems still work? Does the four-wheel drive system still work when they are on, or would the DII simply sit and spin onlythe wheel(s) with least traction in a muddy situation?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Differentials and computers

The truck is full time 4wd. If you do the ABS test (panic brake at 35mph) and it doesn't work, then none of the other systems will since they work off the same system. That is why the CDL is still great to have in those loose traction situations.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If all three lights are on then no, your trac control wont work, your HDC wont work and your ABS will work at a reduced rate.
When just the ABS light is on it means that one or more problems exist.
So your left front wheel may lock up in a panic stop while the other three wheels pulsate as they should for example.
So what you are hearing about the ABS still working even though the ABS light is on is not enterly true.
Having different wheels providing different levels of stopping power is a accident waiting to happen.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay, thanks. I understand on the ABS, Hill Decent, and Traction Control with regards to their not functioning properly if their lights are on. I was also trying to understand if these system malfunctions would cause the four-wheel drive system to malfunction - potentially leaving you stranded. It has been my understanding through reading that LR did away with the CDL because this "sophisticated" four-wheel drive system could somewhat simulate lockers at times as it senses wheel slippageand other conditions at each corner.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Team Owner

The 4x4 will work as it should. The truck is full time four wheel drive, no computer controls the 4x4. You wont be left stranded.
If you wind up cross axled you will have to get yourself unstuck. Instead of the Trac control applying the brake to a spinning wheel which through pure mechanical pyshics transfers the power from the spinning wheel to the one with grip.
Your truck is full time four wheel drive, NOT all wheel drive, there is a differance.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks. One last question on that note. When some of you guys install aftermarket lockers in these trucks, does that give the computer a hard time? I know Spike just explained that no computers control the four-wheel drive. I'm just trying to wrap my exhausted (from other things) brain around all the sensors and gizmos these LRs have in them and how they interact and handle modification.

P.S. I love this forum. I don't seem to have enough time to read everything on here, but I want to. I think I have found an information eutopia and new internet home! Thanks, guys.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Team Owner

No lockers will not give the computer a hard time. The computers on a LR were added in after the fact.
The driveline on your truck is the same basic design that they used 60 years ago. Computers were a afterthought.
Maybe this will help.

http://www.discoveryownersclub.org/tech/history/

Old 09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The locker will actually make it easier on the TC computer because it will think the wheels have traction, since they'll be spinning at the same rate when locked.