Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential's expalined

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

hey that was really neat ! at first I thought WTF ? but then I couldn't quit watching !
( man o man I need to get a grip )

Old 11-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still trying to get my head around the eaton one.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Team Owner

Yeah I could not find a good video on how a locker works, but that shows the guts of it.

That Chevy one was really cool, explains it very well.

And it goes to show you how little differentials have changed over the years.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GM one is fantastic, but I'm getting tired just listening to the guy...

And I concur: based on what I learned in the first one, the second one is only showing the guts of a diff, not the drive gear and the shell around the outside.

Last edited by Baylink; 11-15-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The TruTrac actually seems the works pretty simple. Under normal operation there is space between the pinion gears which allows the side gears to turn at their own speed, like a normal differential. As the side gears turn at different speeds the pinion gears move closer together until the speed differential is great enough that the pinion gears contact each other and therefore cause both wheels to be driven. All of this occurring inside the differential unit which has the ring gear bolted to it and being driven by the driveshaft via the pinion gear.

Not sure if that actually helps anyone understand but I hope it does.

GM for many years has used the Eaton Govlock as the limited slip differential in its line of full size trucks. It is my understanding that the Govlock is actually closer to a full locker than a limited slip and is nearly bulletproof. Under normal conditions the Govlock stays locked and only unlocks under specific circumstances, such as rounding a corner. The best part of the Govlock is that it does its job silently unlikely a lot of aftermarket lockers. The Govlock is one of the few things GM managed to get right.

Last edited by AK Rover; 11-15-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey spike, what options do we have as disco owners? Anything else besides arb's air locker? I would like to eventually install a limited-slip, posi or locker in the rear at least, is there any mechanical/manual lockers out there? ARB's kit is very nice, but I didn't want to get into it that deep with a compressor, air lines and switches etc, I just want something very simple that works

Old 11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadill
Hey spike, what options do we have as disco owners? Anything else besides arb's air locker? I would like to eventually install a limited-slip, posi or locker in the rear at least, is there any mechanical/manual lockers out there? ARB's kit is very nice, but I didn't want to get into it that deep with a compressor, air lines and switches etc, I just want something very simple that works
Detroit Locker in the rear end and TruTrac in the front is a popular set up. I was going to go with TruTrac front and rear.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Team Owner

Yeah a Detroit locker for the rear and a winch for the front and you can climb a mountain...literally.

The way a Detroit locker works is it is unlocked until you spin your wheels, then it locks, wheel spin stops, it unlocks.
It is automatic, you do nothing once it is installed.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yeah a Detroit locker for the rear and a winch for the front and you can climb a mountain...literally.

The way a Detroit locker works is it is unlocked until you spin your wheels, then it locks, wheel spin stops, it unlocks.
It is automatic, you do nothing once it is installed.

What type detroit locker will fit the D1? Do you have like a model # or a part #? This sounds pretty interesting..

Quick Reply: Differential's expalined