Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digging out from 3 years of storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:38 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. Sounds like my nephew and I would both get a schooling out of that list Disco Mike. I don't doubt it's all appropriate though.

I have the LR shop manuals on CD. They're not big on maintenance procedures, mainly repairs. Any place you could point me to for the maintenance procedures spelled out? I've bled brakes before and changed fluids so I am not looking for the 'for dummies' info, but would likely move forward more quickly and confidently with the receipe for success.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you still have the "Passport to Service" manual? It spells out all the maintence for your truck.
If not the LR dealer can print it for you or you can go to www.edmunds.com and look up "cost of ownership" or the like and you can find all of the maintence schedualing in there.
If you do have the RAVE manual it does list in the owners manual section the recommended maintence schedule.
If you still cant find it I might be persuaded to scan and post the schedule from my owners manual.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:50 PM
7th Gear

I have the LR sponsored CD ROM manuals. I've heard of the Rave manuals, but think mine are different. I also have the original owner's manual that came with the truck. So I have the schedule. I was really thikning it would be nice to have the actual procedures spelled out.

For example I was looking into changing the transmission fluid today and it looks to be a bit more of a project than I would initially expect. You need to remove a cross member and drop the exhaust out of the way. Not hard but not anticipated either. I was more specifically not sure whether to change the tranny fluid warm to remove more crud or cold to measure the volume accurately. Also was not sure how to actually flush the fluid or if I should be content with just the amount that comes out the drain plug. Those are the procedural things I was wondering about...

Old 05-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

That list I sent you is slightly over kill but when done you will know everything is current.
If you want any help with it, let me know.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dead96Disco
I have the LR sponsored CD ROM manuals. I've heard of the Rave manuals, but think mine are different. I also have the original owner's manual that came with the truck. So I have the schedule. I was really thikning it would be nice to have the actual procedures spelled out.

For example I was looking into changing the transmission fluid today and it looks to be a bit more of a project than I would initially expect. You need to remove a cross member and drop the exhaust out of the way. Not hard but not anticipated either. I was more specifically not sure whether to change the tranny fluid warm to remove more crud or cold to measure the volume accurately. Also was not sure how to actually flush the fluid or if I should be content with just the amount that comes out the drain plug. Those are the procedural things I was wondering about...
I got you now.
All you need to do to change the trnas fluid is remove the drain plug and then add about 6 quarts of Dexron III.
How to clean the throttle body is already spelled out in a sticky on the top of the Disco page.
The differentials are easy, put the back of the truck up on ramps, remove the fill/check plug, remove the drain plug.
Replace the drain plug and refill with 2 qts 85w-140 gear lube.
Same thing for the front diff.
The t-case is alittle more involved.
But with the front of the truck up on ramps still remove the fill/check plug on the t-case, 10 o'clock position on the back of the t-case, then remove the drain plug.
Replace the drain plug and fill with 85w-140 gear lube, drive off the ramps and put the rear back up onto the ramps, continue to fill the t-case until full.
Replace the fill/check plug.
Done.
You will need 7 qts on hand, do yourself a huge favor and buy a cheap fluid hand pump ($10) and use that fill fill everything.
If you still dont think that you can handle it then take it to a quick lube and have them do it, it will cost you $100 or so, $50 or so to DIY.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Team Owner
Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Spike and Mike! Your advice is greatly appreciated. I've got our to do list and I'm sure I will be back in touch as we plug away at it.