Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII, 6 months of ownership, so pleased!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII, 6 months of ownership, so pleased!

it occurred to me today that i was once worried about reliability of my 2002 DII (kalahari edition, it you're into tack-on bits), but had decided that I had owned nearly every make of car other than Land Rover, and the SUV certainly fit our 2 child household.

i know that anything can go wrong at any time, but I've covered the basics i guess (fixed the whining idler pulley and replaced front driveshaft with Toddco unit - both jobs so easy!).

i remember a thread about using the disco as a daily driver and, though my wife and i alternate vehicles as we commute ~20 miles each way together (we work together), i have to say that it has held up commendably well during times of stop and go / 90-degree heat. It drove without issue roundtrip to tampa and back (nashville). It continues to earn my deeper trust every day.

eh, just had to say...i love this lug of a truck!

Brian

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya, I've had 6 disco's and 2 range rover's every time I get rid of one I miss it so I get another. It's kind of a sickness I guess.

Bleed Green

Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to hear a positive story come through every once in a while!
Keep enjoying the Disco. Have you brought it beyond the pavement yet?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes good to hear a positive comment. I think many people on the forum buy a 2000, 2001, 2002 for $5k and under that had sketchy or no maintenance from a previous owner and have to work out the demons on their 10 to 7 year old Rover. Many times wires, plugs, crank sensor and O2's sensors will fix these rides. It just seems scary when the idle is horrible and you think it is the end for you Rover. For as robust as a car they are the engine is definitely finicky and takes some finessing to make it run well.
My 2003 has never left me stranded always started in cold weather. Now with new O'2 sensors installed & E'3 plugs, I am getting much better gas mileage. And just ordered the Velo Fuel saver. Hoping to make this nice looking green brick as efficient as can be.

If you see you gas mileage slowly getting worse I have noticed its the rear O'2 sensors going bad. (decreasing by a 0.5volt output)
The front O'2 sensors(precat) will make your idle terrible and send misfire codes(flashing check engine light)
This has been my experience. Even fooled my incompetent Tom Wood Land Rover Dealer in Indy for 4 weeks before they figured it out. The dealer could not say what "fixed" the Rover. For $1700 he should have made some S$it up! Now I fix my own car and use this forum for help.

Last edited by bosshogt; 07-17-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea I love my Rovers too.... Sell one, miss it..... Get another one...

I have only been stranded once in a Rover It was a P38 4.6 HSE and the BCEM just went out while we were in the Grocery Store... Wasn't a hard fix at all... Cost $500 bucks but that truck is still on the road..

My only complaint about my Disco II is that it isn't a TD5 diesel......

Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Drifting

i've had it off-road a few times. nothing major since she's one of my 2 main commuting vehicles. the tires reached their limits before the truck did (michelin 4x4 XPC) in the mud.

i do wonder what the 4.6 motor feels like in comparison, but do credit the sluggishness for my newly developed laid back "cruising" driving style. can't get a speeding ticket in this thing. complete opposite of my last yellow vehicle (WRX wagon).

2 things;

wanting to upgrade the woofers in the front doors, do standard 6.25" speakers fit? or, since i'm looking for a bit more low-end, are those woofers i spy in the rear door? are they upgradable?

also, how do i bring back the texture and shine to the black fender arch rubber things? (name for these??)

Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by starrock

also, how do i bring back the texture and shine to the black fender arch rubber things? (name for these??)

Thanks,
Brian
You can easily tape off the fender flares, sand them smooth, and repaint with a plastic paint. Krylon or Rustoleum are the best two for this. Most people use flat or satin finish. I did this about a year ago and my fender flares still look great after nearly two summers.

I'm probably going to do a quick write up on how to do this properly because it is a common question.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 PM
TReK