Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII CDL Swap Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default DII CDL Swap Lessons Learned

So I swapped out my DII CDL linkage with that from a DI. Per some instruction I found, it is approx a 6 hour job. Well I spent at least 12-14 hours on it. Here are some lessons learned for those of you thinking of trying it:

1. Don't rip anything out until you have all the parts. I drove for a week with a giant hole in the floor because my parts were shipped.
2. You can buy a rivet tool for under $5. But you get what you pay for....piece of crap.
3. The linkage for the tranny is a different size than the DI. The instructions I had said "use a 6mm shoulder bolt and a 8mm-6mm bore reducer". What the hell is that you ask? It's a bolt with spacers. Neither Home Depot nor Lowes carry the correct sizes, I had to go to ACE. I found the correct spacer but had to cut it with a Rotozip.
4. Yes, you need a Rotozip. You have to cut the panel to fit the new shifter. And don't try to make the hole as small as possible, make it big. Cutting a hole 7 times is no fun.
5. Stupid cup-holder is in the way. Had to move it.

There are many other things that took me forever to figure out, but I finally got it in and working. Now all I need is some time to test it out.

Jamie