Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII COOLANT LEAK! LOCATION???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII COOLANT LEAK! LOCATION???

Okay, I had coolant questions yesterday and today. Now, I have a leak. I have had to top off my expansion tank two mornings this week. The level is usually down about two inches below the "COLD FULL" mark in the mornings, now. After a 15-mile drive this morning I could smell coolant when I got out. After the same drive home, this evening, I could smell it even more. This time the coolant level in the expansion tank was at that same low level I mentioned above - but this time when hot. I looked around behind the engine and noticed what appears to be coolant dripping down onto my new front drive shaft. Where could this be coming from? I'd like to dive into it this weekend, if possible. I couldn't see a source for the leak, though. Is this a common area to find coolant leaking? Any thoughts?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: DII COOLANT LEAK! LOCATION???

Take it to a shop and have the coolant system pressure tested. They will be able to pin point the leaking spot(s). Whatever you do make sure it doesn't overheat!!!! The aluminum engine doesn't like it at all. It's easy to drop a sleeve and then you'll need a new engine.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Good point. I was too busy trying to think of where it could be coming from, and i didn't think of having it pressure tested. Guess i know where i'll try to be tomorrow...

Definitely don't want any overheating! While driving my Miata with the top down this summer I heard what i thought was my usual ticking until the oil warms things up in the top of the engine. Turns out, while i was so busy listening to the ticking and waiting for it to quiet down, i never noticed my check engine light on. Turns out, my radiator decided to cool off the pavement and left me with an overheated four cylinder aluminum lump. She sits in the garage awaiting a new engine - hopefully in the spring. Definitely don't want the same thing with the Disco!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A Chevy 350 is a good fit in a Miata.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Don't think those thoughts haven't crossed my mind! I even purchased a 302 Ford about five years ago to drop in it. In the end, I decided I didn't have the time to do the swap and didn't want to tear into it. Now, however...!