Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fules in my 04 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fules in my 04 Discovery

Good day,

I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fuels in my 04 Discovery. The type of engine is a 4.0 gasoline power plant.I currently purchase my fuel from Shell. My questions are:

1. is there a safety concern with regard to the engine if I do not use 91 grade fuels in my vehicle?

2. Can I use a lower grade fuel such as 89 grades on a regular basis?

3. If I use a lower grade fuel after using a 91 grade would there be any potential hazards to the power plant due to the difference in fuel in the system.

4. Should I use any type of fuel preservation or additives in any way with my vehicle?

Thank you all for your time and effort answering my questions.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Default RE: I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fules in my 04 Discovery

Yes, since you're already using Shell (good choice), use Shell V Power 93 octane. It doesn't cost that much more and you'll get your money back in mileage, performance, and avoiding future engine problems. This is one of the most-talked-about topics on the site, so if you want to see the reasons I believe what I just said, then do a site search for "gas mileage" and you'll get a lot of information.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fules in my 04 Discove

yeah, also search for "premium" that will bring up alot of past posts, its a hot topic!

(the search is at the bottom of the main discovery page, if you didnt know!)

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fules in my 04 Discovery

ORIGINAL: traffictech870

Good day,

I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fuels in my 04 Discovery. The type of engine is a 4.0 gasoline power plant.I currently purchase my fuel from Shell. My questions are:

1. is there a safety concern with regard to the engine if I do not use 91 grade fuels in my vehicle?

2. Can I use a lower grade fuel such as 89 grades on a regular basis?

3. If I use a lower grade fuel after using a 91 grade would there be any potential hazards to the power plant due to the difference in fuel in the system.

4. Should I use any type of fuel preservation or additives in any way with my vehicle?

Thank you all for your time and effort answering my questions.
The '04 is a 4.0 in Canada? Why isn't it a 4.6 like the rest of the '04 Disco's?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fules in my 04 Discove

The biggest issues is one of carboning up the valves.
There really isn't any room for debating here, use good gas or pay the price.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

The biggest issues is one of carboning up the valves.
There really isn't any room for debating here, use good gas or pay the price.
Big 2nd!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

That's a good question. I"m going to find out to make sure. I've always thought that they were a 4L. I will pop the hood and check the owners manual and give you the correct information.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: traffictech870

That's a good question. I"m going to find out to make sure. I've always thought that they were a 4L. I will pop the hood and check the owners manual and give you the correct information.

Spend a night reading your owner's manual. You have a 4.6 and it also states you have to use 91+ octane. No question.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Use what the gas that the owners manual says or you will void your warranty. It requires premium fuel end of discussion.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Winching

Seriously there's not that much difference in price. On my Blazer its like $4.30 per tank, and with the blazer's mileage, it would take upwards of 14 fill ups to get one fill up with just the money I saved by buying the cheap stuff. Thats 3000 miles!

Buy the premium, shell V power, and enjoy a nicely running engine for years.

(I only use the Blazer figures because I havn't yet priced out the figures for the Range..I just fill it up with the V power)

Quick Reply: I would some advice on if I should use only the "premium" grade fules in my 04 Discovery