Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Diff Fill Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DII Diff Fill Plugs

My OEM plastic diff fill plugs are leaking. I'd like to replace them with brass versions, but I'm a cheap bastard and can't swallow spending $20/each on a brass plug, plus 14 bucks for shipping from a vendor who shall go un-named. I mean seriously...over $54 for two brass plugs? Really?

Surely, these are not proprietary goods. I had assumed they were simple brass pipe plugs, but see that there's an o-ring involved so I doubt they're pipe threads.

Does anyone happen to know what size these plugs are and the tread pitch? Has anyone yet sourced these from an industrial supply/fastener/plumbing distributor?

Last edited by KenR; 07-16-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Typos from fat fingers
Old 07-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenR
My OEM plastic diff fill plugs are leaking. I'd like to replace them with brass versions, but I'm a cheap bastard and can't swallow spending $20/each on a brass plug, plus 14 bucks for shipping from a vendor who shall go un-named. I'm mean seriously...over $54 for two brass plugs? Really?

Surely, these are not proprietary goods. I had assumed they were simple brass pipe plugs, but see that there's an o-ring involved so I doubt they're pipe threads.

Does anyone happen to know what size these plugs are and the tread pitch? Has anyone yet sourced these from an industrial supply/fastener/plumbing distributor?
Ebay: Got mine for 20-25 total including shipping, but they came from australia and took about two weeks.

if i find the link i'll post

Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Drifting

Many thanks for that link - I refused to pay so much for the brass plugs too and was going to order new plastic ones.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You shouldn't own a Disco, wait till you have an expensive repair, you just going to part it and walk away?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You shouldn't own a Disco, wait till you have an expensive repair, you just going to part it and walk away?
You sound like a guy that sells $20 brass fill plugs!

I probably threw you off with my sarcastic 'cheap bastard' comment, but it's really about value for me Mike. I simply don't see the value in two brass plugs that'll end up costing nearly 60 bucks with shipping. Maybe you do.

It was a couple of simple questions: anyone know the size and thread pitch? Thanks for your helpful contribution.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used the brass plug on this page and some PVC sealant for my gasket/o-ring seal on my D2 Diffs.

RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Old 07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess you could just purchase the plastic ones again. Just be careful when you take them out. I reused mine.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by KenR
You sound like a guy that sells $20 brass fill plugs!

I probably threw you off with my sarcastic 'cheap bastard' comment, but it's really about value for me Mike. I simply don't see the value in two brass plugs that'll end up costing nearly 60 bucks with shipping. Maybe you do.

It was a couple of simple questions: anyone know the size and thread pitch? Thanks for your helpful contribution.
I understand exactly how you feel. I maintain my Disco with an open check book and do whatever is needed to the truck no matter what but that does not mean that you have to buy two brass plugs for $40-$60 and not rant or complain about it.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
I used the brass plug on this page and some PVC sealant for my gasket/o-ring seal on my D2 Diffs.

RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Now that's what I'm talkin' about...4 bucks instead of 20 and worth every penny. Add an o-ring and we're in business. It's just a plumbing part fercrissakes.

Thanks - just placed the order!

Quick Reply: DII Diff Fill Plugs