Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII No Alarm!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII No Alarm!

Hi,
Heres a brain teaser for you clever guys:

I just transplanted another 4L V8 into my 2000 Disco (NAS), the old motor seized up. The new motor also came out of a 2000 Disco. It was easy plug and play, except i cant play....

The LED on the dash is dead, no flicker no nothing, the following does not work:
No indicators (nor hazards)
No cetral locking of any kind
Key remote does not work, but can maually unlock drivers door.
No electric seats
No electric windows
No electric sunroofs

If ignition is put on setting II the dash lights up, everything seems 100% and then the M & S lamps flash and the selector indicates a slashed B and flashes too.
Turn the ingintion to III (to start) and nothing what so ever happens (except the clock back lights go dead while key is held at III)

Oh and i think she is locked in High range, cant move low high selector, gear selector works fine though.

EKA code cant work at all, no audible signal nothing, it is as if the alarm has gone away.

Remote has new battery and the lights on the remote lights up. And yes, I checked each and every fuse both in the engine bay as well under the steering column.

Inertia swith resets etc but still no alarm LED on dash. Nothing, Nada F%^%

PLEASE HELP.....

Cheers
W

Last edited by wilcas; 03-31-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

ECU and BCU both stayed from original vehicle? Or do you have a mixed marriage? 12 volt battery well above 12 volts (M&S can flash when down to 9 volts)? Did you check fuse links as well in under hood box? Any cables unplugged under fuse box? Engine actually bonded to ground (frame) - can test with battery jumper cable from (-) to clean metal on engine.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-31-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 PM
6th Gear

Same ECU, BCU etc, only thing that came from the new vehicle was the complete motor and motor wiring harness. The harness plugged right into the ECU.
Battery at 12.9v and has been at that for the whole week while sitting in the garage. Fuse box was not touched at all. Ground cable at the back of the engine again screwed onto the earth as before. Fuses all 100% incl yellow box fuses (not sure what they are but they are all still 100%).
....any thing else?

One more fact, when i completed the job, the LED did come on but then went off....not to be seen again....for some reason i think this is key.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Body control unit (BCU) has a hand in all of this. Sound like it is not getting power, or has not communicated with ECU and IDM (back of fuse panel). Please re-check with meter fuses 13 under hood and 29 under dash.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:47 PM
6th Gear

OK, just checked and both fuses 13 and 29 have over 12v on them....

Old 03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

And the fuses read "short" with an ohm meter (no hair line crack, burned off under the plastic, etc.)? Of course, if reading across a fuse with a volt meter, and see volts, then fuse would be "burned open". Reading From (-) or frame and each side of fuse, would expect 12 volts on both sides as good. Provided for lurking newbies. May be a bad BCU, which will complicate things as a new one may need some help to "learn" the new ECU. Let me look for some other things the BCU controls so we can verify if it is alive.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-31-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Frome RAVE:

The IDM communicates with the BCU and the instrument pack via a serial interface. If the BCU or the IDM is replaced, the communications link between the two units has to be re-established. This can be done either by switching on the ignition and leaving it on for five minutes, or by using TestBook. The vehicle immobilisation will remain active until the communications link between the BCU and IDM has been re-established.

Perhaps try the above, switch on ignition and let it sit 10 minutes while you carry out some other directive from SWMBO, she will be impressed you took a break and thought of her...

Also try wipers on delay - which is controlled by BCU.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 PM
6th Gear

Wipers work but NOT on delay....what does this mean?
Ignition sat on II for 10 minutes now....no change in status.

With ignition on II:
Fuse 13:
Ohms 0.15 or -0.15 across the fuse.
Fuse 29:
Ohms 0.01 or -0.01 across the fuse.

???
(what i know about electrical stuff is scary)

Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

If wipers don't work on delay that is also the BCU, and since it did not re-sync, sounds like bad BCU. Might try unplug each connector on the BCU and re-seat. If your meter will also read amps, or milliamps, might pull those fuses above, put amp meter in place of fuse, and see if module is accepting amps (power) . If current flow is zero, connector or header could be open somewhere. Or drag meter to BCU and measure for volts at the connector. Pins 1 and 13 to ground. See attached. Also, BCU talks to tranny ECU, any chance you disconnected any other plugs?

The BCU controls the cranking relay, and the rest of the things you listed.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 c0660.pdf (621.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 AM
6th Gear

13 and 29 zero current, both zero amps to ground with fuse removed.
Will pull the BCU plugs in the morning, but for now i can say i never disconnected the BCU.
If i jump the starter relay to the pos i get the motor to swing, but obviously not start.
I dont get why the LED of the alarm is not working, that tells me the alarm and EKA codes wont work.
At a loss i must say....
What i dont get is why the LED did work initially (still in the same state as it is now) and now do not even light up or flash.
Would it be in Theft mode perhaps? (what ever that means...)
What would have the BCU fail now?

Much appreciated!
W

Quick Reply: DII No Alarm!