Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Towing experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII Towing experiences

I will be towingapprox 5000 lbs for distances up to 9 hrsat times in a single stretch quite regularly. Conditions will vary from flat to mountains. Is the DII capable of handling this task? I have been looking at 04s with the 4.6L as they are rated up to 7700 lbs... just not sure if that 7700 is realistic, etc... and how they really handle thatweight back there while going 70-75 on the highway.

I know these are extremely capable off road, which I am attracted to that ability as well, but most of the use will be for towing, driving around town for errands, or trips to the beach.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: DII Towing experiences

You should be fine with the 4.6.
You might consider changing the tranny oil a little more frequently, every 15,000 to 20,000 miles and you're set.
Mike

Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Drifting

I tow a 24' travel trailer weighing in at +/- 5,000lbs loaded. I have traveled from Ontario down to Virginia a couple of times and 5 - 6 hour trips locally. Not too much trouble with towing, it is not the most powerful vehicle for towing, but seems to do an ok job. Hills are especially slow. If I could do it again I would have bought a truck with a longer wheelbase and a lower centre of gravity and probobly more power. With the relativly short wheel base and high centre of gravity of the Discovery III find the overall stability at highway speeds to be a little unsettling at times (usually when 18 wheelers passing at speed). I cruise at100-110kmh (60-70mph), much faster than that and I would not feel too comfortable. Towing capacity is 7,700lbs in low range only, 5,500lbs in high range for normal driving. Our regulations call for brakes on trailers, definately a must for something as heavy as you intend to tow. The owners manual states not to use a load equalizing type hitch. I do, even with the SLS. I find it gives me a lot more stability and control of the trailer at highway speeds. Better get a anti-sway bar too, one of those friction type units.

Hope that helps & good luck

Old 03-15-2007, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

I have had similar towing experiences with my 2004 Disco II. I tow a 23 foot Prowler travel trailer, about 4900 lbs loaded. Seems to have enough power, and no sway, as I have WD hitch and Reese Dual Cam setup. The only challenge I have is the short wheelbase, which is demonstrated as it moves around in the lane a bit when a big truck passes on the interstate. After you get used to it and anticipate a bit, it is not too bad. I just keep the speed down and don't get in a hurry, and things go along just fine. No problems whatsoever on two lane roads. But I hope to trade up to an LR3 next year. My camping buddy wants me to give up and buy a diesel pickup, but I thinkI am gonna hold out and try the LR3. I have had no problems with this Disco, and I absolutely love it. If it had a bit more wheelbase, I wouldn't trade it. I grew up driving Series IIs in East Africa, and I enjoy the quirkiness and the history.
So I'll keep a warranty and drive on. Glad to hear others are having success as well. These are tough vehicles, and it is rewarding to see them put through their paces.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3740/2B0D807DE7C0486F9D3F5F047DD84ECD.jpg[/IMG]