Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Upper and Lower Ball Joints!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default DII Upper and Lower Ball Joints!

OK just finished my ball joints and even though its PITA its not that difficult... a little manual labor is involved... I bought new quality ball joints from rover parts dealer here. The only issue I had and it cost me an entire day of downtime was finding the right ball joint set... harbor freight did not work... none of it... its going back... its not stuff land rovers like, I even bought the master set ... anyway.. we have a place called Congresss Auto down here in south florida probably a local shop similar to NAPA but regional ... or maybe just in my area... anyway... I'm sure they sell same master kits as napa or a real parts store for real mechanics... not hobby parts store for home mechanics... anyway the kit they rented me for ZERO dollars thats right ZERO! but I had to buy the rental and have 3 days to return or I only get 50% back and after 7 days I bought it... but its only 150 bucks! now it did not come with the c clamp set fortunately a neighbor who owns a metal fabricating shop had one but no matching adapters! Ill return the rental today and go buy some new rotors and pads! hahaha
end of day today Ill be rocking ( hopefully not) and rolling ( HOPEFULLY ) with my brand new painter 18" factory hurricanes and 265/65/18 DynaPro ARM RF10 tires!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

good deal. glad you got it done. I have used the harbor freight kit on 2 d2s and have found it to work perfectly fine. no issues at all.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Speaking of which.... Dusty I still have your kit haha. I should do mine soon, but I've been so busy with the D1.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

no worries.... every vehicle I own has new *****. I would have prolly lost it before I will ever need it again

Old 01-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

in the kit I bought from harbor freight which I bought both c clamp kit for 4wd and the master kit and nothing fit for bottom... when I found the rental kit from a real mechanics parts store it had same as other but had 1 more and that one fit perfect! maybe the kit has changed recently at harbor freight ? anyway it all goes back tomorrow... lol and I may buy the better kit but still thinking about it because they rent it for free! the catch is... even though I can rent for free, or bought it, Id not have the C Clamp so id have to rent it all again or just own it... if I buy a spare land I may just buy the whole thing and be done with it its really nice to have the right tool and one that doesn't brand or brake! lol

Last edited by dparham; 01-04-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get the c-clamp to do the job at most autoparts stores too. I got mine at a local Autozone (chain store here) and between that and an OTC 4WD adapter set I had from an old F-150 I was able to do the ball joints in my 1999 P38. The adapter fit the bottom poorly but it worked.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ive used the harbour freight kit with no problems on my d2 as well. Did you go through miami british for your ball joints? I buy alot of parts though them.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Speaking of which.... Dusty I still have your kit haha. I should do mine soon, but I've been so busy with the D1.
So you're keeping the D2? Did you ever figure out what the damage was?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Seems to run fine, doesn't burn coolant or loose oil... It's a mystery!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Seems to run fine, doesn't burn coolant or loose oil... It's a mystery!
so you just got it hot....no biggy?
you ever hear the one about the boy who cried wolf?

Quick Reply: DII Upper and Lower Ball Joints!