Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable The D--- Service Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Disable The D--- Service Engine Light?

I need some advice here! I'm completely sick and tired of the Service Engine Light coming on every time I hit a bump to hard in the road or a bird craps on it. I have a 2004 Disco that runs perfectly but the Service Engine Light goes off all the time. I've read this is a very common trait with LR's but it's down right annoying. I'm considering haveing the light disconnected. Apparently that's nothing more than cutting one wire. What would be the negatives of such a move? I know the positives! What would be so bad about just having the vehicle serviced regularly and/or when it starts to misbehave? You know, like back in the old days before we let the auto computer pull us around by our nose chains! Any advice???

Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, by disabling the light you will not know of any potential problems.
Small problems are compensated for by the ECU, if not corrected then those little problems become big expensive problems.
Bad O2 sensors for example will reduce MPG and cause excessive carbon build up on the exhaust valves resulting in the need for a valve job and new catalytic convertors.
Add up the reduced MPG and the new parts and labor...thats alot of $$$.
The ECU will take a poor running engine and make it feel "normal"
Dont do it.
Bad idea.
What about the next guy? He buys it from you and cant figure out why he cant pass inspection and now has to spend booko bucks to get his "good deal" fixed.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of codes are you getting?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't cut the wire. If you insist on getting rid of the nuisance then just unscrew the bulb from he cluster (real easy). Save the bulb, and reinstall it when you sell the truck. I hate the light too. I drove for years in the days when there was no such thing as a CEL and was able to figure out when the car wasn't feeling right. So if you're determined to get rid of it - then remove the bulb instead of cutting the wire..... Stop by Autozone once every couple months and have your codes read, and you'll be good to go....

Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Spike555, good points! I'm not a mechanic but I just figured if I had it checked every 7500 miles during serving that none of those "major" problems would occur. I also figured if it started running a bit rough between services I'd take it in for repair. Disabling the light won't disable the ability of the system to identify problems. I even thought about buying my own device to check it with every time I change my oil. Also, the wire could be reconnected before I sell it one day so it wouldn't be a surprise to the "other guy". I don't know, I'm just fed up with it. I love the Disco, but the service light is to darn sensitive. Even the LR shop admits to that. I'll probably just leave it be. Later!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can buy a cheap OBDII scanner and check it yourself and turn it off too.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Get the codes read while the light is on and get back to us with the 4 digit fault codes.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Get the codes read while the light is on and get back to us with the 4 digit fault codes.
I agree with disco mike give us some codes, there is ALWAYS a reason the light comes on and no "just to annoy you" isn't one of them. There are very few problems that can set a code that you want to ignore.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Here’s the code that my 2004 Disco is producing: P0134

This was the read out Auto Zone this morning. It was also the read out that prompted me to have the Air Sensor replaced. Here’s a little background. The Service Engine Soon light came on and the vehicle started idling a bit rough. So I took it to my local mechanic and he told me that I needed to replace the front oxegen sensor. After the job was complete the vehicle started running perfectly and the light went out. The next morning the light came back on but the vehicle continued to run perfectly. I took it to the same repair shop and he told me that it was showing the same reading that prompted him to replace the sensor. However, he said that when the vehicle is running it shows the sensor as working fine. Anyway, what’s your take on the this?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Thats for a bad 02 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1. This will trash your cats, I would suggest you correct the problem ASAP.

Quick Reply: Disable The D--- Service Engine Light?