Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable The D--- Service Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't go to the dealer, that will be a waste of money, order the Magnacor wires, get some pugs and give the damm truck a tune up finishing up with an induction cleaning.
Maintance goes along way with a Rover.
When you get ready shout and I'll walk you thru doing the wires.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
I'm probably going to take it back to the mechanic that replaced the drivers side front O2 sensor. He'll probably do the other one for cost of part. He's a good guy, just not as good with LR's as he thinks he is. Anyway, would you mind telling me what exactly you would have done in a tune up? I'm obviously going to replace the wires and plugs and put a standard air filter back in it. What else should I have him do? Thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Also, is there a preferred O2 sensor? I suppose at this point I should just let him use what he already used.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cegibbs3
Also, is there a preferred O2 sensor? I suppose at this point I should just let him use what he already used.
What did you pay for the other 02, what brand was it?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cegibbs3
Mike,
I'm probably going to take it back to the mechanic that replaced the drivers side front O2 sensor. He'll probably do the other one for cost of part. He's a good guy, just not as good with LR's as he thinks he is. Anyway, would you mind telling me what exactly you would have done in a tune up? I'm obviously going to replace the wires and plugs and put a standard air filter back in it. What else should I have him do? Thanks!
1 Oil filter, K&N 3001 or Mobil 1- 301
1 Factory air filter
6 Qts. of engine oil
2 feet of 3/16th vacuum tube
2 feet of 5/16th vacuum tube
12 Qts. of ATF
7 Qts. of 80/90W synthetic gear oil, 85W/140 for HD use
3 Pints of synthetic DOT 4 Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant, also called DexCool
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platinum Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat
1 bottle of WaterWetter or Purple Ice
Hoses and belts, as necessary

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

This is what your truck needs.
How mechanical are you?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A good tune up is plugs and wires.
Everything that Mike posted is a good service to do at every 60,000 miles.
I dont agree with all of it, but that is just my opinion and solely my opinion.
Nothing against Mike or anybody else, just how I feel.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Drifting

I ordered my plugs and wires today. Afterwards, I started thinking about this situation and I called a service manager at a different LR shop. Unlike every other one I've spoken too he actually tried to give me some advice over the phone and not try to drag me in for a over priced repair. He is now my LR service advisor and when needed I will take my auto to him. Anyway, here's the advice in short order. The code that I'm receiving is the same code that has indicated the following problems etc. Anyway, take the K&N air filter out and clean your MAF and pray that it isn't damaged. The cleaning has worked at his shop in numerous cases and saved a lot a money for customers. Appearently the K&N air filter is causing some problems with the Disco's. However, it's purely a Disco problem. The Disco is hyper sensitive to air flow increases or decreases and the oil from the K&N filter has caused some issues as well. I know this is a sensitive issue so I'm going to write an update on the success or failure of what I'm doing. For the record, I installed the K&N approx. 2-months ago. I took it right out of the box and never oiled it. When I cleaned the MAF it looked spotless. It looked to me like the K&N filter has been working beautifully. But, now that it has been replaced with a "dry" purilator and the MAF has been cleaned I'll keep you informed. By the way, I'm not replacing the plugs or wires until I get the results from this endeavor. The vehicle is running beautifully so I'm in no hurry. Thanks to all, Stay Tuned!

Last edited by cegibbs3; 03-30-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Update!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You know what, it would really help you out if you downloaded the FREE service manual and took half a day and read it. Also, invest $100 and buy yourself a code reader that will also clear the codes. What's happening is you get frustrated because you don't UNDERSTAND what's going on. That's normal. Trust me, read the engine management portion of the service manual a couple times and you will feel EMPOWERED and also LIBERATED. It's going to cost you a bunch of money taking this into the dealer ..and regular mechanics may not always know that much about these Disco's. So, read the manual and take some time to work with the guys on the forum and you will get all the bugs worked out of your L/R and learn a lot of transferable diagnostic skills in the meantime. Your Disco will also run a whole lot better. Cobbling the light will only lead to more problems down-stream and you'll just keep running into things that will frustrate you until you finally end up selling it with a bitter taste in your mouth ...perhaps over some simple issue you never took the time to diagnose. Knowledge reallay is power. Lots of guys on this board willing to help you. Listen to their good advice.

Mark G

Last edited by Mark G; 03-30-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 AM
Drifting

Mark,
It must have been the way I wrote my last reply. That's the only thing I've always disliked about e-mail etc. Anyway, I fully intend on taking and using the advise of the people on this forum. I've already saved a bundle of $$$ by doing so. As soon as my parts get in I'm going to follow the advise of Spike and Mike. In the meantime I decided to change air filters and clean my MAF. It's an inexpensive step in the right direction. As far as taking my car to LR for repairs that will be a last resort in all cases. This is a great forum and I'm learning a lot. Also, I will be purchasing my own diagnostic equipment in the near future. The comment I made above about a new service rep was intended to only show my pleasure with that fact that I finally spoke to a LR rep that didn't tell me that he was the only person in the world that could help me with his specialized equipment. I guess I was just happy to speak to an honest man at a LR shop. Anyway, still waiting on my parts and hoping that my filter replacment and MAF cleaning will yield some good results!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Stay away from cleaning your MAF, by the way what codes do you have, by 4 digit number. If you just have to slip over to the dark side, remove the MAF while cold and only us automotive MAF cleaner only following all directions. Rven by doing this, you may still kill the MAF.
As for the tune up, I am not sure what you are waiting for, it won't tune itself.

Spike, what exactly do you disagree with on my service list, be specific?

Quick Reply: Disable The D--- Service Engine Light?