Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling Alarm

Here is my situation, last night I locked my '99 Disco Series II with the key, (I do not have a key fob) and this morning when I went to open it the lock tumbler turn freely in either directions but does not open the door. Obviously some mechanical failure in the lock. So I need to get it fixed, but is trying to figure a way to get the vehicle to the shop with out towing. The dealer needs the vehicle present to program a key fob which will hopefully disable the alarm to allow the vehicle to start. My question if I had a locksmith open the door and I they popped the hood and disconnected the battery and let it sat for a while before reconnecting it would that disable the alarm to the extent that I could start the vehicle and drive it to the dealer.

Advise or suggestion greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There are no options, call a tow truck and be prepared to pay Rover around $300 plus for the fix.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you can get the door open and can fix whatever is making the key turn freely in the lock you might be able to use the 1515 code to disarm the alarm. Just disconnecting the battery will not disable the alarm. Actually, if you get the mechanical part of the lock working again, just unlocking the door with the key would probably disarm the alarm.

Do a search for EKA or 1515 for more details.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The problem is getting the door open, Disco doors don't open well without breaking the glass

Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

yeah. That's no fun. If the truck isn't superlocked, if he could fish something onto the inside door handle and pull it twice, it should open. Of course, that might be a magic trick all by itself, considering where the inside door handle is.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. Before you get it towed, have the locksmith use an airbag (i think that's the term the locksmith used) to wedge the back hatch somewhat open, then have them stick a long rod down to grab the door handle on the back hatch to unlock it. Your alarm will obviously sound. Crawl through to the front door and open the door from the inside. Once you've gotten that far, you'll have to pop off the door panel to loosen up your door handle. Get the door handle off, and you'll see where the broken rod goes into your actuator. Stick a fillips screwdriver in there and crank it to the left, which will deactivate your alarm. Then you should be able to drive it with no problem. I've done this from experience, saved me a boat-load of money. By the way, if you have some long needle-nosed pliers, you can pull the connecting clips from the horns through the front grille so they aren't honking every 2 seconds while you're trying to do all of this.

I later got a key fob for my vehicle, but in order to get the connecting rod fixed in my door, i bought a door handle off of ebay for around $30 instead of having the stealership fix it for hundreds of dollars.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming thinking of giving Bama suggestion a try. Will let you all know what happens. All things considered I am Just glad I decided not to take it on a road trip this past weekend to Philly. All I can think of is what the tow bill would be from one of the service plazas on the PA turnpike to the nearest dealer. Again thanks for the response and keep them coming.