Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling the three amigos

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling the three amigos

Until I can truly afford the funds to resolve the three boys, is there a way to turn them off, other than having AAMCO doing it only to reappear again?

We already know it's the expensive route to takecare of it, but since running them on for the last year, it's not hurting the engine, just annoying.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Disabling the three amigos

How do you know what is wrong, what faults were found, do your brakes squeak? If you do a panic stop from 30 MPH, can you feel the ABS pulsate thru the brake pedal?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Mudding

i dont know what the codes are but it looks like my abs works on all tires except the driver side front. thats the only one that locks up if i do a panic stop or if a accelerate really hard on wet floor. what do you think that could be? i have all 3lights on and my car is a 2002 d2 with 96k miles on it. i bought it with 83k and have no idea what kind of maitnence has been done to the car what are your sugestions

Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

How do you know what is wrong, what faults were found, do your brakes squeak? If you do a panic stop from 30 MPH, can you feel the ABS pulsate thru the brake pedal?
No, not pulsating from a panic stop or any stops at all, Iforget the code (AAMCO) but was related to the speed sensors in the wheels, just don't have the funds today to get new ones installed for the time being.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Since your ABS is not pulsating it is nearl a safe bet you will need to replace the valve kit offered by Rover and I would only let an experienced Rover mechanic do that sort of expensive work. In the mean time, no the lights can't be turned off.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Ha. Just had codes pulled today on mine (year 2000). Definitely a shuttle valve problem. My mechanic said there was a diagnosis he could run that would determine if I need the "expensive" ($800) part or something cheaper.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 3 AMIGOS periodically. My brakes just started squeaking.

When I do the 30 mph emergency brake there is no pulsating and the 3 AMIGOS light up every time.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: grussell

I have the 3 AMIGOS periodically. My brakes just started squeaking.

When I do the 30 mph emergency brake there is no pulsating and the 3 AMIGOS light up every time.
You just mentioned your problem, squeaking brake pads, that is the biggest cause for the 3 amigos.
How mechanical are you? If you want to do your own brakes and save money get back to us so we can walk you thru this.
Don't let it go till the lights stay on, it will cost you an extra $100 or so to have the fault codes cleared.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: chakadog

Ha. Just had codes pulled today on mine (year 2000). Definitely a shuttle valve problem. My mechanic said there was a diagnosis he could run that would determine if I need the "expensive" ($800) part or something cheaper.
You mechanic is not completely correct, there is no additional test and the first, cheaper, shuttle valve kit Rover came out with was a near failure. The only kit that can be used is the more expensive $800 kit, if needed.
Have your brakes been squeakling, if you throw a panic stop from 30 MPH plus, can you feel the ABS pulsate thru the brake pedal?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can do the brakes. I have performed my own maintenance on all my other vehicles, but I am a new Rover owner so look to the forum for advice on particulars. I installed the Magnecores and Bosch plugs from recommendations from you guys and the results were good. What brand pads do you recommend? Any particulars about Rover brakes.

Garry
01 Disco SD 106K
Keller, TX

Quick Reply: Disabling the three amigos