Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 1 brake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Disco 1 brake question

ORIGINAL: Rover Chris
so just replaced the front pads on my rover, since all signs pointed to them needing to be done (less braking power, brake dust build up on front wheels and as of this week brake light flickering on and off on the dash). I was really happy to see how easy the brakes were to do on the front, but I have a major concern, my old pads appear to half about half there life left!!! is this normal or is something else going on? I didn't think my rears needed to be done since there is no dust on the back wheels but now I am wondering.
Have your braking performance increase,brake dust decrease and brake light turned off since changing the pads? As mentioned, brake dust is not an indication of the poor brake performance. It's just a coincident you notice the dust the same time the light came on.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the brakes are better the light is off, when I slam on the brakes it doesn't stop like I want it to (but it is a heavy truck) but it does seem better.

discorom:
"turned" means they put the rotors on a lathe and smooth them out so you dont need to replace them. older vehicles used to wear only the pads so the rotors were thick and could be fixed (when grooved) instead of replaced, newer vehicles wear both the pads and rotors so they make them thinner and now just want the rotors replaced when needed.

yes they make aftermarket rotors and I am sure with todays technology on brakes (cross drilled,slotted) they make better ones

3rd question I am not sure on, the rear rotors are pressed in meaning you need special tools to remove them, I am pretty sure they come with the hub already attached but not sure.

you only need to bleed the brakes if they have air in them, do the brakes press the pedal, is it spongy or tight? if spongy I would bleed them.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you just replaced the pads, it might take a bit for them to seat on the old rotors. This would cause excessive dust because the they aren't hitting the full pad. Excessive dust will cause your wheel sensors to get dirty, throwing an ABS light. That is why everyone stresses good quality pads and rotors. The AB pads should be fine, just give it some time.

If your pedal feels spongy, you may have a swelling brake line. You can fix it for $100 with the stainless braided lines from AB.

Discorom: I think Chris answered your questions. I had a typo on turned... rear rotors are a pain. get a manual and read through before you start.

On bleeding, I recommend it every time you touch your brakes. Even changing pads, open the bleeder screw before you compress your pistons. Junk builds up in there and if you don't, all of that crap just goes back up your lines. This would be a good time to do a flush, if it hasn't been done. Just like bleeding, only you repeat until clean fluid comes out...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it thanks guys.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear rotors are not pressed on a D1. I just did mine. You will simply need a good hammer to knock them out, and a wire brush tu remove the rust build up on the hub, so the new one simply slides in place. Rear are a piece of cake if you can get your calipers off easily. I broke both of my brake lines so I had to make new ones on both sides. Took me 2 days to rebuild both rear calipers, replacing the broken brake lines, rotors and pads.

Maybe I missed a point somewhere, but which light came on ABS or Brake light? If it is brake light, it means you do not have enough oil in the reservoir, due whether to brake pad wear or a leak.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

brake light (the red one that says brake!) the abs light is on cause the fuses are out, and the CEL light came on the day after I pulled the fuses (not sure if 1 of the 2 ABS fuses should have not been pulled?) I do understand how the brake light comes on with the fluid sensor in the brake fluid reservoir, this is why i said it was flickering on and off, suggesting the fluid is just getting to the point of being to low (or the calipers are pushed out far enough to displace that much fluid) the brakes pedal is much tighter now with the new pads and the light is completely off. not sure about the rear rotors, as I have not done the rears, just repeating what I have heard.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

aaaaah. yeah the brake light would signal low fluid. New pads would correct it, if you didn't mess with the fluid.

I can't reply to the PM. I will check on the ecu..

Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

here are some pics for you guys

the back of one of the pads (maybe some one will ID them)
http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003048af7.jpg

these next 3 are just the surface of the pads, like I said they still look like they are good
http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003050pq2.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003046hj6.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003047hz6.jpg

Old 02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are ebc ultimax brake pads

Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle