Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DISCO 1 OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DISCO 1 OVERHEATING

HELLO TO ALL OF YOU. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY DISCOVERY 1 93' MPI 2000cc (UNLEADED). THE COOLING FANS JUST DONT START WHEN THEY ARE SURPOSED TO AND THE ENGINE GETS OVERHEATED. WHAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM.

PANOS - GREECE

Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: DISCO 1 OVERHEATING

Fan fuse, relay, temp switch or fan motor

Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check the termostat and coolant level also.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Overlanding

fan fuse ok
fan motor ok
coolant level ok
temp switch ok
so it seams that it is either the thermostat or the relay..
where can I locate the thermostat and the relay? I had posted two days ago where does the disco1 have the relay but with no actual help

Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so that wasn't it?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

PANOS-Sorry that we are not much help, we are trying but we do not have that engine here in the USA, all we have is the 4.0 or the 4.6 V8 gas engine and it is different from your MPI 4 cylinder.
The thermostat should be on the engine where the radiator hoses connect. Most usually the top radiator hose, where it connects to the top front of the engine.
As far as the fan relay switch goes, we have no idea because you have a different engine and a relay can go anywhere.
Do you have a clutch fan attached to the front of the engine?
Have you checked to see if your radiator is clogged? If you have a clutch fan you wont overheat unless you are low on coolant or something is restricting coolant flow, like a bad thermostat or a clogged radiator.
We are trying buddy, dont give up on us yet. You know us American's, stuck in our own little corner of the earth.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Overlanding

thanks for trying, you guys realy make me feel nice and comfortable in this forum.
sorry for my English as well..how can I know if the thermostat is fulty? I loosened it and it looks brand new. and also what does clogged radiator mean..

Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Your English is fine, I am trying not to use to much slang either.
There really isint anyway to tell if the thermostat is bad by looking at it, it is a fairly cheap part to buy, make sure that you get the gasket too. And if you dont know the last time it was replaced then just buy a new one.
A clogged radiator...the inside of the radiator has little passage ways for the hot coolant to flow through and the air moving past the radiator from either the engine fan or moving down the road removes the heat from the coolant thus keeping the engine from overheating.
If the passage ways are clogged then the coolant cannot flow through them and then the engine will overheat.
They clog because of age, old/bad coolant. The best way to find out if it is clogged is to take it to a radiator shop.
You can drain the cooling system, remove the top and bottom hoses from the radiator and put a garden hose into the top of the radiator and see how well the water flows. It should come out as fast as you put it in.
For the short term you can remove the thermostat and put the upper radiator hose back without the thermostat in place and see if it still overheats.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: panosdisco1

thanks for trying, you guys realy make me feel nice and comfortable in this forum.
sorry for my English as well..how can I know if the thermostat is fulty? I loosened it and it looks brand new. and also what does clogged radiator mean..
The thermostat opens up when the coolant gets warm enough, allowing it to circulate. When the engine reaches operating temperature and it opens, you should be able to feelthe temperature and pressure in the hose next to the thermostat change significantly. You could put the thermostat in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens, then take it out and it should close. Or just get a new one, they aren't too expensive. Just make sure you install it so it's facing the right direction.
If you have never done it, Iwould flush and replace the coolant as well. If a lot of dirt and sediment comes out, there is a good chance that the radiator could be clogged.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You could put the thermostat in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens, then take it out and it should close.
This is right. I've done this a few times. However, I've had it where itopened fine in a pan, but still wouldn't operate properly in the vehicle (might have been hanging up due to water flow), and a new one fixed the problem. So, as cheap as they are, it's worth replacing if you have it out. A thermostat is basically a valve. It opens/closes based on engine water temparture to regulate flow of cooler water from to the radiator. On cold days like we have here in the northern USA, the thermostat doesn't need to open hardly at all. If a thermostat gets stuck open the engine will run too cool and ya won't get much or any heat. If it stays closed too much, or stuck closed, it'll overheat because there won't be enough water flowing from the Radiator to the engine. Hope that helps. By the way, Greece is a wonderful place!

Quick Reply: DISCO 1 OVERHEATING