Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 1 w/chevy small block? will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 1 w/chevy small block? will it work?

Does anyone know if this will work and what problems I may be getting in to. I know the hard core Rover fans think this is sacreligous, but I think this may be a better way of solving my problems.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Disco 1 w/chevy small block? will it work?

the biggest issue will be mounting the engine and tranny. good luck.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling

mounting the thing up is going to be a pain. do able but a pain none the less. wiring will also be a problem.
as for switching to a chevy motor . research has it that the original v8 motor used by land rover was originally designed by chevy. then sold to land rover, who then made it better. That said a small block chevy is one of the best motors on the planet. I am presuming a 350. It may be easier to modify the whole drive line to chevy. It will give you the rover, and with suspension modes will come close to the ability of the rover. You also may want to look at modes for the engine. the proformace upgrades available are unbelieveable. Hope it helps, gotta love a rover. 96 disco, 130k 4.0 still is the best 4x4byfar. that is after 10 years. It will still kick butt. duboff.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Mudding

I have found marks4wd.com in Australia which sells adapter plates for chevy v6 and v8 conversions. According to them with there engine kit and mounting kit the process is as simple as possible. It also seems I can probably get the chevy engine, adapter kits and installed for the price of a Land Rover engine! Nice...

Old 08-09-2005, 04:43 PM
7th Gear

You betcha it'll work.

You're on the money with the marks adaptor ring. There are a few older Rangie's about with GM gen III V8 in them over here ( Does LS1 sound familar as a designation?) and I've even seen a BB Chevy in a 4 speed rangie no problems ( IF I see it around I 'll take some pics). Actually it was the Buick or Oldsmobile 215 V8 of the 50's that LR bought, and which block you have in your Disco, so you'll definatly need an adaptor, and engine mounts - but no cutting or welding. Bear in mind that if yours is a manual, a wild SB chev might be too much for the R380 gearbox ( The LT230 transfer will take it OK) . The R380 is so-called ( AFAIK) because it's engineered to take up to 380 Newton- metres of torque. If your project is for wild, simple. Find an early Range Rover 4 speed (Lt 95) all in one gearbox/transfer. Bolts straight in, can handle V8 up to a big block. Don't know about auto's, as I've always had manuals....

As for plumbing, the Disco engine bay is a dream compared to the Defender - still it's a matter of taking your time, and have an electrical workshop manual nearby (RAVE on CD !)
Good luck
Langy

Old 08-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

keep in mind that Austrailian cars are right drive. i dont think the tranny adapter would be a problem, but there might be some issues with the engine mounting kit.

best of luck.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Cant go wrong with a small block chevy. Your Disco should move pretty good with a small block. I had a 1978 Jeep CJ5 with a small block, headers and a holly intake and carb. Fastest Jeep I have ever been in.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
6th Gear

Chevy 350 will work great with the adapters. I've already talked to my independent LR mechanic and he has done it 4 times. He said that the vehicle really takes of with the 350 and the torque is unbelievable. He also said that the gas mileage actually improves. I'm doing it as soon as the original LR motor goes.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Mudding

Does the person that puts the engine in need to be a Land Rover person or just someone who knows the ins and outs of swapping engines? I am starting to lean this way for sure but I need to figure all this out soon and get things underway...

Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would imagine that you would just need someone who knows engine swaps. the Disco I isnt as complicated as it seems. but dont take my word for it.

Quick Reply: Disco 1 w/chevy small block? will it work?