Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 2003 manual slipping when parked in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 2003 manual slipping when parked in gear.

So new Land owner here and absolute beginner when it comes to DIY vehicle repairs and maintenance (but attempting to learn) so forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question;

so my drive is on a bit of an incline and with past vehicles I have parked on my drive with the handbrake off and in reverse. The thinking behind this is to not put undue stress on the handbrake when parked overnight day in, day out.

I have just recently purchased a D2 2003 manual and when trying to do the same with this there is a lot of "Brrrr Brrrr" noises that I believe is the air bag/self leveling and then it creeps forward an inch or two and the cycle continues.

I sat in the car tonight to see if this cycle would stop eventually and after it crept forward 5 or 6 times I whacked the hand break on and gave up.

Is this a problem or am I missing something?

The thing that worries me is that this also seems to be connected to having an intermittent 3 amigos.
when I start it up it sometimes brings up the amigos but I've found that if I fully depress the foot break, release the hand break and start up with the foot break still depressed then it's always clear and they don't reappear on any journey so far...

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

Old 09-11-2023, 02:30 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

If I’m understanding you, the bit of movement you experience when releasing the foot brake with the park brake engaged is normal. It is because the LR Park brake is on the back of the transmission, not at the rear wheels like most cars. The movement is due to the play in the drive train (this play is normal).

Old 09-11-2023, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I'm parking it in reverse with the hand break off.

It just seems to keep creeping forward a couple of inches, stopping, brrrring noises and then creeping forward again and this cycle just continues.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

If the truck is in gear then the wheels are direct-connected to the crankshaft and if your truck is moving, so are the pistons. That typically means you have poor compression and the weight of the truck is enough that it overcomes the sealing of the cylinders. This should not happen. Also, if it's creeping forward while in Reverse you are rotating the engine in the wrong direction. I would park in 1st gear and set the handbrake until you figure out what's up with the engine.

The following users liked this post:
Richie91 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:16 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Also, there's nothing wrong with leaving the handbrake on for a while. After several weeks the shoes can grab onto the brake drum, but even for a few days there's no reason not to use it as a backup to leaving the vehicle in gear.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:46 AM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Poor compression maybe, but if the driveway is quite steep it may be normal. There will of course be a grade that’s steep enough that even the best engine won’t hold it back. I live in British Columbia and there are a lot of driveways here that are too steep for any engine to hold the vehicle.