Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 300tdi conversion and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
pm'd

also, nice work!

Obviously as you've already found, the 300tdi in a D1 was much easier because the car was designed for a tdi, the d2 was designed for a Td5. Good luck though, it's a very cool project!
Yes... this is one of those projects where your mind changes every minute between feeling stupid and feeling smart....

Thanks for the support guys....

Well.... Between yesterday and today, I found that the way to cheat the ECU and make it think that the V8 engine is still there is to install the Crankshaft position sensor. If this sensor is properly installed, the ECU will think that the engine is running and will enable several other circuits.

In my case the problem is that I am using a 300tdi with mechanical fuel injection pump and it does not need a CKP sensor. My gearbox is an automatic diesel gearbox for the 300tdi, and it has inside the reluctant ring needed to activate the CKP sensor. I have to check if the holes in my reluctant ring are in the same position as the holes in the V8, and if different, have to check if this is important or not. The CKP sensor installation will be a problem to solve because it is installed in the back of the 300tdi engine, and it means that I will have to drill and tap the backlplate of the engine to install the sensor properly.

Another option is to make some kind of electronic signal generator and connect it to the CKP sensor wiring... This may sound crazy, but it could work if exactitude on the signal input is not necessary.

To make the traction control work, I need to install a throtle position sensor, which is basically a potentiometer. I need to find out more on this, but it will be like the 10th priority on this project.

Will keep you posted.