Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 abs probs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 12:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disco 2 abs probs

Hi all I've had a slight problem with abs TC and hill decent lights coming on. I put my Delphi diagnostics on it and said left rear sensor fault. So changed both sensors on rear. But still have the fault
any advice or ideas would be great 😎

Old 03-06-2021, 03:30 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Search this forum for "three amigos" and you'll find a whole raft of threads about this fault, and any of the two dozen or so problems that can cause it.
But just to check, did you clear the fault after you changed the sensor?

Old 03-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Overlanding

Yea removed the fault codes after changing sensors.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Very often what a diagnostic tool reports as a wheel speed sensor (WSS) fault is not a problem with the sensor itself. It's instead a problem with the connector, where the sensor plugs into the wiring harness to connect to the SLABS computer, either in the engine compartment for the two front sensors or in the wheel well for the two rear sensors. This has been the case with my truck twice. In fact, some aftermarket sensors are also faulty.

The first time I replaced the sensor and the fault returned (right rear). I then learned about the problem with the connectors and spliced in a new connector. Still no luck. Then I removed the aftermarket sensor and examined it carefully. I could see a mark where it had been actually rubbing against the reluctor ring. I reinstalled the original sensor, with a new connector, and that corrected the problem.

I later had the same problem with the left front connector. Working room to reach the left front connector in a LHD truck is extremely limited, but I was able to pull the sensor-side wire back into the wheel well (including the rubber grommet) and install half the new connector with ease.

There's evidence that Land Rover recognized the problem with the connectors. New sensors from Land Rover have long wires meant to be routed all the way to the SLABS computer in the passenger compartment behind the glove box (LHD).

I've included a link below to the kind of "upgraded" connectors I used. You can also solder splice the wires and eliminate the connector, or some use simple 3M heat shrink butt connectors to make a permanent connection. I also found an inexpensive wire available at Home Depot with specs matching the original WABCO WSS wire that could be used to extend WSS wires. I've included that link below.

HIFROM 2-Pin Waterproof Electrical Connector with Crimping Tool
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNFP79V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18/2 Gray Stranded CU CL3R Shielded Security Cable
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...3199/204725192

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:51 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar issue, as in wheel sensor fault and had a ace fault code as well, it would happen randomly for a few days then stop for a week or two.
what fixed it was crazy I gad to replace disk pads and get 4 disks skimmed, that was months ago, no faults since

Old 03-08-2021, 03:36 AM
Overlanding

I've replaced the rear discs and pads the sensor on the drivers rear once and the passenger side rear twice.
checked the wiring on the abs and seems ok.
Next to check the wire loom.