Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 for camping/pics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:18 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 for camping/pics?

Hi all, New member here... very interested in buying a Discovery 2 for camping adventures. Interested in how people pack boot, roof racks etc so really keen to see any pictures anyone may have?

I suspect I'll need a fully laden roof rack and obviously boot. We are a family of 4 and previously filled up a C-Max boot (with middle seat taken out!) and a roof box.

Thanks for any pics and advice etc.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a cargo rack on mine. For camping I use both a large soft cargo bag and hard cargo box (long ski box). Soft things like sleeping bags and tents and all that go in the soft bag. Other items and things I need easy access to go in the hard cargo box (tools and what not).

Basically when we get to where we are setting up I unload the soft bag. During the trip and while out and about during the trip I use the hard sided one. Things like inflatable paddle boards get secured to the top using a stretchy cargo net.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

​​​​​​​

Old 11-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

I sleep inside but here is mine, packed for 4-5 days

Old 11-06-2018, 12:52 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's probably too small for a family of four. I have done it (with a Discovery 1) with a family of four for the last 7 years, and so the kids' ages have varied significantly too. It can be made to work, but I would say that it requires a higher degree of experience and clever efficiency, whereas a larger vehicle would give you a much wider margin of convenience.

I've certainly depended on a full roof rack, especially when factoring in a big dog. Younger kids (babies, toddlers, kindergarteners) can need more stuff than older ones. If you toughen them up a bit and train them to endure minimal comforts and conveniences for the sake of an experience, you'll need less stuff. Really, it's not much different than backpacking -- and that brings up another point. More space efficient camping can be costlier than if you had more cargo space for bigger gear. Backpacking requires both space and weight efficiency in your gear to get the best experience, and lightweight, compact gear that performs well is often costly. When you can take along a bit of extra weight and bulk you can often use things you already own or which come without the premium price of high-performance gear. Another thing to consider is the distance you'll need to travel on the highway. If you're going to travel a good distance, you won't want to do it with a tall load on the roof rack. It's so much easier and better, safer and more secure to have it inside. You might also see roof-top tents. They take up a lot of roof rack space and they're very small inside for two people and so useless for four. A separate ground tent for the kids can work if they're older, but either two small ground tents or one large one is still more efficient than any rooftop tent.

The Discovery is quite capable as an overland/camping vehicle for one person. It is still good for two people provided they're comfortable being very close and sharing most of their gear. For four people, it's better for day trips and over-niters. Where the Discovery really has an advantage is with offroad capability. Especially with upgrades, the Discovery can be a very competent trail vehicle. And it's in this context the limited cargo capacity is justified. The Discovery's minimalist accommodations for four people result in just the right size. A 2-door Wrangler simply won't do at all, and vehicles bigger and heavier than the Discovery are at a disadvantage on tight trails. But any amount of serious offroading is a costly proposition. You will either break and upgrade or pay to upgrade up front. Although the initial purchase price of a Discovery is low, they are somewhat costly just to keep them running on the road. Taking them offroad can quickly accelerate the costs. It shouldn't be surprising that offroading carries significant costs. It's true for Toyotas. It's true for Jeeps. Few people get away with very many miles of difficult trails on the cheap. But if your plans and budget don't include the expense of acquiring and maintaining significant offroad capability, one of the old Discovery's key benefits isn't adding any value for you. If you'll just be camping at established campsites with no significant obstacles between there and the road, you would be better off with a large crossover, or a traditional SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, Sequoia, an Excursion or even a van. Besides being needlessly minimal, Discovery 2's have major flaws and troublesome defects that will be a big pain in your neck and your pocketbook, and you'll have no justification for suffering it.

I would also suggest the Discovery is best purchased as a serious, long-term commitment. If you only intend to enjoy it for a few years and resell it after you see the stream of major expenses coming in one after another and your desires turn elsewhere, you're likely to find yourself burned. I've had mine for 7 years and if I were to sell it now, my loss would be staggering. On the other hand, I see no reason I shouldn't be able to keep it at least another 20 years, after which I expect it will have proven to be a good value. I certainly hope to keep it much longer than that, but have some doubts it will be legal in that age to come. I do not expect the resale price to go up. These vehicles are like old farm tractors. You just can't expect anyone to ever pay you a lot for them, but you can expect them to work hard for many years if you do your part.

Last edited by nathanb; 11-06-2018 at 12:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wjsj69 (11-11-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Here's part of my setup for the rear. Took this last Saturday in Anza Borrego just before the Diablo dropoff. Bit messy looking, but everything is in a convenient place for quick access.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice setup Blake!

Old 11-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

I finally got the Disco set to where I can use it for what I really want: transport and base camp for little bike trips. The Disco is WAY slower than the Jeep, but amazingly the economy is about the same. The comfort and stability compared to the Jeep puts the Disco way ahead. I’m very happy with how it has all turned out.

I’ve put the chicken coop flooring on the front half of the rack to facilitate the gas cans, water, tools/spares in the box and of course riding gear. The Disco has both ACE and airbags in the rear which contributes DRAMATICALLY to the stability and drivability when on the road- even though this last trip ran through some very high winds at highway speeds, the Disco was stable (but I’m certainly not rallying with this much weight).

I like that I didn’t have to stack stuff in the rear to where I couldn’t see out the back window, and with the tent deployed can still open the tailgate enough for full access.

EDIT: Well, apparently the code isn’t fixed at all allowing me to post pics. Oh well, I’ll add some at some point...

Last edited by longtallsally; 11-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gas cans on the roof rack would be extremely dangerous. Some overlanders did it with Diesel oil in the old days because they didn't have a better alternative, but with gasoline it's insanity. It's much better to put the fuel on the bike trailer.

Quick Reply: Disco 2 for camping/pics?