Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 CDL needed or not??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:25 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 CDL needed or not??

morning

hope alls well.
Ive recently bought a d2 2003 with no CDL

I’ve bought the parts to retrofit the CDL but a thought crossed my mind of do I need it?

I’m planning to overland the vehicle, the main trip being UK to Mongolia, is it going to be a case of better to have it than not need it, or would you say the stock D2 setup works well for what I will want

I do plan on taking the truck away from the tarmac at all possible opportunities!

i may have answered my own question but interested to hear whether stock is a good setup as is

(I’ve only had defenders before now so am used to the CDL but they had no TC)

many thanks

Old 12-30-2017, 06:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr E
hope alls well.
This is the land rover Dll forum...so we know this is virtually impossible...lol.

I’ve bought the parts to retrofit the CDL but a thought crossed my mind of do I need it?

I’m planning to overland the vehicle, the main trip being UK to Mongolia, is it going to be a case of better to have it than not need it, or would you say the stock D2 setup works well for what I will want

I do plan on taking the truck away from the tarmac at all possible opportunities!

i may have answered my own question but interested to hear whether stock is a good setup as is

many thanks
Installed the linkage on my 01 and it was a game-changer. A hundred percent better off-road. It's one of those things...if you don't have it and never need it, you wouldn't miss it...but if you don't have it and need it...you'll definitely miss not having it.

Add it, you wouldn't be sorry.

Congrats, on your new rover...hope she treats you well.

Brian.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Seconded. When I installed it it completely changed the capability of the truck, and how I use it. You definitely want it.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

I offroaded in the Mongolia (Altai mountain range) and you will definitely want CDL.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Some 03 models could have the CDL by just adding the linkage but others require a transfer box swap. I seem to remember that none of the US models had provisions to accept the linkage but I think it was an option in other markets.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I 'believe' that from late 01 to end of 03 there is no CDL transfer cases. If I am wrong I hope to learn so in this discussion. So if you have an 03, then you will need to find a new transfer case with CDL, and then the shift linkage.
I have a very early 01 and have CDL. It was very cool to engage it with a wrench and see the dash light go on, and have it work. Don't think I would ever have a Disco without it. One of the reasons I only look for 99 - 01 and 04s.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:46 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening

thanks for the info
I’ve got a transfer box from an 04 D2 and levers for £240, just need to get it fit.

from consensus here I’ll fit it next week

many thanks

Last edited by Mr E; 12-30-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Explanation
Old 12-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll be in a minority here--it all depends on how you use the truck. I had lockers in all my SUVs and I had to lock a rear differential only once. Yep. Only once in my off-roading life because most of the time I do overland travel that brings me to some rough spots but not where I can go only locked. Usually when I see obstacles, I get out and try to find the easiest route because for me the whole point of overland travel is travel and not terrain fighting.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

99-01 for sure had the CDL Nipple, and "some" early 02 models (with either late 01 build dates or early 02 build dates "could" have it (anything with a build date past say 6/02 did not). 03 for sure in the US Market did not have a CDL nipple, however most US equipped 03 D2's had CDL compatible SLABS Units.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr E
morning

hope alls well.

many thanks
UK to Mongolia, huh? If you want CDL I’d sell your Discovery and buy a Land Cruiser with the CDL button on the dash.

Either way I am looking forward to seeing you keeping us all updated with your travels.

Quick Reply: Disco 2 CDL needed or not??