Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 ...A feel good story

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven my Disco from Ontario Canada to Florida 3 times - no problem.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
I have noticed a lot of people seem to over-worry about the reliability thing. Once you get your 60k service done and your motor is squared away there is no reason to sweat a little 3 hr drive. I think all the problems we see on this forum gives the impression that these rigs are delicate little flowers.

I drive mine like I stole it. My daughters are absolutely psycho drivers and they run between Denver and home (10 hr drive) on a regular basis with little or no thought put into it other than check the oil and coolant and tire pressure. I repair their rigs all the time but that is from banging stuff up on mountain trails. Throw in a basic tool set and a spare belt and go see the world.
I’m with you. If the cooling system is sorted check your fluids and go have fun.

Daytoman (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
I have noticed a lot of people seem to over-worry about the reliability thing. Once you get your 60k service done and your motor is squared away there is no reason to sweat a little 3 hr drive. I think all the problems we see on this forum gives the impression that these rigs are delicate little flowers.

I drive mine like I stole it. My daughters are absolutely psycho drivers and they run between Denver and home (10 hr drive) on a regular basis with little or no thought put into it other than check the oil and coolant and tire pressure. I repair their rigs all the time but that is from banging stuff up on mountain trails. Throw in a basic tool set and a spare belt and go see the world.
Personally, I worry too much. However, these are also my first “older” Rovers. I bought them with a few minor issues. LOL!
To be honest, Ive driven brand new or nearly new vehicles exclusively for the past 30 years. Nothing kept over 5 years. Most kept less than 3 years. So I have literally never sweated reliability. It’ll take me some time to build trust in the 2 old Discos I have now. I do plan to get them mechanically sorted and enjoy them, I just love them too much not to. But that doesn’t mean I wont be a bit nervous for awhile. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and have fun doing it. I look forward to stretching my Disco’s legs. Hearing success stories are few and far between on forums since most of us are here to solve problems most of the time. These are encouraging posts.

Last edited by Daytoman; 05-07-2019 at 07:45 AM.
GCBurke (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I wanted to do some beach riding today but the permits for out of state are ridiculously high....$200 for one month.....no 1 week passes like they use to have for $45. Anyone else near Apalachicola Fla that knows where I can do some light to moderate(I gotta drive this thing home) wheeling .

Old 05-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GCBurke
I wanted to do some beach riding today but the permits for out of state are ridiculously high....$200 for one month.....no 1 week passes like they use to have for $45. Anyone else near Apalachicola Fla that knows where I can do some light to moderate(I gotta drive this thing home) wheeling .
Got to keep them out of state tourists off our beaches tax, no more one week permits!! Gotta love Gov.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Yea, the back up! Just in case....

Land rover in the back ground.

Brian.

Daytoman (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Drove my Dll to the end of the driveway, once...chicken out going any further...lol.

Actually, did two rather long drives in the 01...about 900 miles round trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan and 600 miles round trip to southern Ohio.

Brian.

Daytoman (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

I beat the heck out of mine living in Denver, annual trips to Moab with heavy abuse once there plus almost weekly trips to the mountains (skiing, camping, hunting, wheeling). I might not get anywhere quickly but 70 chews up vehicles through the mountains and haven't been let down once aside from a tire blow out climbing out of Dillon back to Denver.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Had a little miss going this morning when I started the Disco up. Pulled out the Hawkeye and found #8 misfire. Rot Row ....Turned out the wire was loose on the coil pack. Got it reseated and all is good. On a side note the coil pack is not secured....its only being held in place by the wires....WTH. More to do when I get back home.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I drive all of mine pretty hard, I let em all tach up high until it shifts down, I cruise the interstate at 65-80MPH all day long AC on full blast, and I absolutely love how they drive. I find myself driving the D2’s I have way more than my wife’s 06 LR3. I don’t mind the 300HP in the LR3, but I still find it ugly vs a D1/D2, I can’t stand the front armrest placement on the LR3 (seems to far forward when up out of the way and whenever I reach back I constantly bump into them), and I’m still not an EAS fan.

I simply do a short pre-flight check on anything I drive, have a small repair kit, and hit the road. To this day the only thing to ever leave me stranded on the side of the road after owning 21 LR’s from 94 up = American made vehicles from Chevy, Ford, and Ram/Dodge............ I’ve had a D1 alternator go out, but I made it home, I’ve even broken an axle shaft on a P38 and made it home.

I am dying to drive up to the PNW, thru NM, AZ, UT, NV, and even CA depending on the route I take. Only thing stopping me is work, kids, and the amount of time off I get.

My 2014 Ram C/V blew up (work van) and I’m in a 2018 Nissan Rogue for a rental and let me tell you they can try to label all this electronic crap as safety features aka blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, auto braking, and back up cameras just to name a few, but IMHO all it does is create crappy drivers who then depend on the beeps, and warnings vs looking out the darn window!!! I don’t use the back up camera, I don’t need blind spot monitoring (use the mirrors & keep an eye out on your surroundings), and the auto braking = what a bunch of crap... I’ve put 1.2k on this thing and it got covered in bugs. I started having a crash detection warning light flash on the dash... Squirted the windshield and it went away... Over a bug on a windshield it freaked out and thought I’d crashed I guess.

My wife was like oh that’s cute & wanted to drive it... She likes new stuff & bells& whistles. She instantly said omg the road noise, the ride, the fake electric steering, and handed me the keys back. I said so 16MPG LR3 vs 32MPG Rogue & she said I’ll take the LR3 thanks lol. Got her to appreciate the superb SUV she already has!

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
Motorhead1 (05-07-2019), whowa004 (05-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Disco 2 ...A feel good story