Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco 2 fire under glove box...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You need a cat lol...

Old 08-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
I was doing some low voltage stuff for a project I was working on. I'd come in in the mornings and find the wires weirdly chafed. Swap them out, thinking it was me that did something. Next day, same thing.

Turns out rodents had been chewing at them.

Also in a house I lived my speaker wires would get chewed.

I've also found dead mice in cars I've bought.

And we all know they eat hood liners.

So, it's a valid question if you had an odd 'unexplainable' fire in your car glove box.

As Mr Spock would say, 'if you eliminate the possible, only the impossible is possible' no wait. 'If you eliminate the possible..... '

Hang on.

Edit. "If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Hey man. ... that's one my favorite Mr.Spock quotes.
From looking at it with the mechanic I don't think that's it... plus... I haven't seen a rodent walking the streets looking for warm cars. Where I live it's not like that. Plus that car stays burning hot, plus I may be wrong, but aren't the engines sealed for water depth on Discoverys? Plus I don't really eat in there....
There was a thank you note left signed, "Dirty Mike and the boys" unsure what that was...

Seriously though... I will have the problem and solution this morning.
Thanks cappedup!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Okay. .. just heard from the shop... for starters blower motor, relay switch and resistor need to be replaced.
The mechanic said it'd take a few hrs when I was there the other day, I got the price from shop owner today... he said price is $1000 for labor and parts. He really didn't want to itemize cost... then finally I asked for the labor cost he said $500... I asked the hourly rate he said they don't go by hourly rate they go by bid. I asked for an itemized parts cost... he vaguely said "cost of parts are the other half of the $1000... I'm kinda processing this. I understand and have respect for mechanics but I don't want to be raped by the price.
Anyone with advise or whatnot, I appreciate it.
I told him I can produce all three parts, used, for $50 thanks to overlandrover. After all its a 12 yrs old truck.
I've been okay with used parts.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

There is only one way to get around paying a mechanic.....Do it yourself.

But if the mechanic will use your supplied parts (which most won't due to warranty issues), you can at least save a few bucks there. That's about it for your options.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd disco
Okay. .. just heard from the shop... for starters blower motor, relay switch and resistor need to be replaced.
The mechanic said it'd take a few hrs when I was there the other day, I got the price from shop owner today... he said price is $1000 for labor and parts. He really didn't want to itemize cost... then finally I asked for the labor cost he said $500... I asked the hourly rate he said they don't go by hourly rate they go by bid. I asked for an itemized parts cost... he vaguely said "cost of parts are the other half of the $1000... I'm kinda processing this. I understand and have respect for mechanics but I don't want to be raped by the price.
Anyone with advise or whatnot, I appreciate it.
I told him I can produce all three parts, used, for $50 thanks to overlandrover. After all its a 12 yrs old truck.
I've been okay with used parts.

Replacing the blower motor, on the FIRST try for a non-mechanic with basic household tools, takes about 30 minutes. You can get the motor for well under a hundred dollars on ebay; here is one for 28 bucks with free shipping. Here is a resistor for 60 dollars (I don't know anything about resistors). Also, there is a mod somewhere in the forums for using a new blower motor for another vehicle... I can't recall which (maybe a ford, I don't remember) that costs 80 dollars new at Autozone (I bought one then my motor decided to behave so I took it back).

A thousand seems a little/LOT high, but they also have some time in the diagnosis... still doesn't add up that high.

I think the high quote is because a NEW land rover disco blower motor is about 400 bucks and the resister is close to 200. If you want new, OEM, the quote might not be so bad after all.

CHarlie V

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-21-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is it just the view of the picture or is there a lot of low voltage burnt also up at the top.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Sorry, missed the relay switch.

You may know, but a relay is basically a device that takes a smaller input (from a dinky switch on your dash or in a computer somewhere) and throws an internal (to the relay), heavier duty switch on the aplication. Basically, it keeps the higher amperage current away from the device that triggers its operation. At least, that's my understanding. Big positive (from the battery or closes power source) goes in, power from external switch or control goes in, and big power goes out to the fan. I've bought relays and used them on my rover for lights and other things, and they are about 15 dollars each at an auto store... maybe 5-10 on the internet. The fan can't draw many amps (when you consider what a starter, or headlights, or an electric engine fan--mine drew 18 amps and put out 4000cf/m--draw), and the relay is BEFORE the resistor, so a standard relay should work if all of the other wiring is still there or you look at the wiring in the RAVE manual. A little bit of a project, but certainly one that can be done on a Saturday afternoon. Her is a general article on how they work.

The better course would be to use the relay that is (if memory serves) in fuse box in the engine bay--sorry I can't go look right now. You'd need to call Atlantic British to be sure it is the right part, but I think this is it and it is only 9 bucks. I don't know whether an auto parts place locally might have it (never looked for one).

Old 08-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Camel Trophy

I checked a couple of other forums on Disco's and Range Rover and, apparently, it is somewhat common for the resistor (which is basically a voltage multiplier here) to go bad and burn up. I've never heard of it, but there you go.

I do hope that you fix it on your own and post how you did it--might come in handy to myself and others.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Replacing the blower motor, on the FIRST try for a non-mechanic with basic household tools, takes about 30 minutes. You can get the motor for well under a hundred dollars on ebay; here is one for 28 bucks with free shipping. Here is a resistor for 60 dollars (I don't know anything about resistors). Also, there is a mod somewhere in the forums for using a new blower motor for another vehicle... I can't recall which (maybe a ford, I don't remember) that costs 80 dollars new at Autozone (I bought one then my motor decided to behave so I took it back).

A thousand seems a little/LOT high, but they also have some time in the diagnosis... still doesn't add up that high.

I think the high quote is because a NEW land rover disco blower motor is about 400 bucks and the resister is close to 200. If you want new, OEM, the quote might not be so bad after all.

CHarlie V
I'm in route to kentucky for all 3 parts used for $50. I'll buy electrical cleaner and lube for motor. That will knock the price down to $550...
Wish I could do it but I'm far from mechanical savy.
If anyone in the Nashville area wanna throw my a price? Nothing is in stone til I come back with parts
Thanks

Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
is it just the view of the picture or is there a lot of low voltage burnt also up at the top.
Unsure here is a closer pic.

Attached Thumbnails disco 2  fire under glove box...-screenshot_2015-08-19-15-34-30-1-1.png  

Quick Reply: disco 2 fire under glove box...