Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DISCO 2 Fuel Cooler??? Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DISCO 2 Fuel Cooler??? Delete?

hi guys, I am rebuilding my TD5 engines. I have been reading about deleting hose from oil cooler to EGR, will that caused any heating issue?

I live in tropical country, all year weather is around 32-38 C.

ONe important question here: what is the function of diesel cooler in TD5? Is this unit helps to heat up diesel in winter season for better combustion or to cool down diesel coming from engine head? I notice hot water from engine get reroute partially to diesel cooler and another smaller hose from cool side radiator to diesel cooler as well. can I delete the diesel cooler if the cooler is meant for heating up diesel during winter?

My point here is, I am trying to reduce the numbers of water hose ard the engine. 2ndly, I want my TD5 engine runs cooler during noon time.... it gets really2 hot.... BUT NO OVERHEATING ISSUE here, thought I could extend the life of engine.

pls advise whether I can take out oil cooler hose and delete diesel cooler system?

Old 06-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

We run V8s here for the most part, you may get a better response on a UK forum

Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It cools the fuel. The fuel pump on a td5 creates much higher pressures than previous Diesel engines, and this creates a lot heat in the fuel after a while. The cooler helps counter this.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by desmd99
hi guys, I am rebuilding my TD5 engines. I have been reading about deleting hose from oil cooler to EGR, will that caused any heating issue?

I live in tropical country, all year weather is around 32-38 C.

ONe important question here: what is the function of diesel cooler in TD5? Is this unit helps to heat up diesel in winter season for better combustion or to cool down diesel coming from engine head? I notice hot water from engine get reroute partially to diesel cooler and another smaller hose from cool side radiator to diesel cooler as well. can I delete the diesel cooler if the cooler is meant for heating up diesel during winter?

My point here is, I am trying to reduce the numbers of water hose ard the engine. 2ndly, I want my TD5 engine runs cooler during noon time.... it gets really2 hot.... BUT NO OVERHEATING ISSUE here, thought I could extend the life of engine.

pls advise whether I can take out oil cooler hose and delete diesel cooler system?
Hi

The fuel cooler works in two ways, it cools the fuel down in summer and the heat generated by the pump and also heats it up quicker in winter which obviously isn't a problem in Malaysia. If possible you ideally need to get rid of the EGR valve totally as they clog up and restrict air intake, this will depend on your local legislation.

The best guys for this are those in places like Australia etc.

Read these topics:- https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid...hot%20climates

www.discovery2.co.uk /workshop - EGR removal

LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 2 EGR REMOVAL BLANKING KIT - JGS 4x4 Land Rover Parts

It's a simple job to do and takes an hour or so. Also get rid of the DPF type exhaust filter so you would need a new cat free downpipe 1st exhaust section but again depending on legislation.

Whereabouts are you in Malaysia? mainland or Sabah? I visited both Sabah and mainland a few years back stayed in KK, Sandakan, KL, Penang and Malacca. Had a good time there as I have many 'in law' family members in Sabah.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My home is 1.5hr away from KL.
Yes, I blanked the EGR, also block the pipe from oil cooler. I will by pass heater as we do not need heat air in Malaysia. If the fuel cooler is also meant to heat up the fuel, does that means I can seal off the top radiator hose which is going around the engine to fuel cooler? cooling the diesel would be a lot easier. its just that maintaining the fuel cooler cost money, and I will have lesser water hose under my hood...

has anyone done this b4?

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi

The fuel cooler works in two ways, it cools the fuel down in summer and the heat generated by the pump and also heats it up quicker in winter which obviously isn't a problem in Malaysia. If possible you ideally need to get rid of the EGR valve totally as they clog up and restrict air intake, this will depend on your local legislation.

The best guys for this are those in places like Australia etc.

Read these topics:- https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid...hot%20climates

www.discovery2.co.uk /workshop - EGR removal

LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 2 EGR REMOVAL BLANKING KIT - JGS 4x4 Land Rover Parts

It's a simple job to do and takes an hour or so. Also get rid of the DPF type exhaust filter so you would need a new cat free downpipe 1st exhaust section but again depending on legislation.

Whereabouts are you in Malaysia? mainland or Sabah? I visited both Sabah and mainland a few years back stayed in KK, Sandakan, KL, Penang and Malacca. Had a good time there as I have many 'in law' family members in Sabah.