Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 Overland prep

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 Overland prep

Evening

I’ve posted a thread in the newbie section, but thought I’d put one here regarding the vehicle.

Im planning a trip for 2019 to drive from UK to Sydney.
I’ve settled on a 2003 D2, being my second disco (same year D2) I’m confident it make a reliable overland truck.

Although I plan to take it ‘off road’ it’ll be mainly uk trails and some trips in to Europe, I’ve started compiling a list of minor mods to do, not building an off road monster

Plan so far is -
EGR Removal
2”lift kit with harder springs on front
hidden winch
snorkel
new dampers all round (inc steering)
CDL Transmission box
roof rack
tent etc

I was offered a mid box delete pipe for the exhaust, will see how it feel with it on.

Open to suggestions from others on vehicle preparation.

all the best

Old 11-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

Think about the snorkel - if you just want it for looks go for it. But as far as protecting your airbox will you ever actually ford that deep.

My thought is a snorkel is it is the last thing you add.

Depending on where you drive :

Rock sliders or rocker protection

Check and replace your breathers diff, transfer and transmission

Tires I know you did not mention them but still - good tires for your needs I run 265/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx At. Heavy but they wear well and are a good performer for my needs.

Awning /Tarp for those wet days. I am on the West Coast of Canada so wet is like 2/3rds of the year.

Other than that keep it simple, simple rarely breaks catastrophically.

This is my 97 Pathfinder, hit 300,000 Km and too much worn out to fix her. So now I am a Disco owner. This was last summer for 5 days in the back end of nowhere. My Disco does not look much different, as I travel solo I may not re-add a roof rack. But I sleep in side, so a bit easier.

And the Disco out this last weekend - for a day.

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 11-29-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2017, 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

A secondary battery and maybe a solar charging system of some sort.

A sleeping area inside the rover, for those days when rain makes setting up the roof-top tent miserable/impossible.

The awning is a great idea, for those moments you just want to get out of the drivers seat for a bit.

Slide out storage system below sleeping area inside rover.

Brian.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:39 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Think about the snorkel - if you just want it for looks go for it. But as far as protecting your airbox will you ever actually ford that deep.
My thought is a snorkel is it is the last thing you add.

Depending on where you drive :
Rock sliders or rocker protection
Check and replace your breathers diff, transfer and transmission
Tires I know you did not mention them but still - good tires for your needs I run 265/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx At. Heavy but they wear well and are a good performer for my needs.
Awning /Tarp for those wet days. I am on the West Coast of Canada so wet is like 2/3rds of the year.
Other than that keep it simple, simple rarely breaks catastrophically.
Now then
I'm not really a fan of a snorkel on a D2, they seem to not really fit the lines of the car, but it was more of a to have and not need situation...
The kit list of Tarps etc is slowly coming together, was more thinking about the vehicle itself, as really, from what i can see, stock is almost perfect for us.

Thanks for the advice, i'll add the parts to the lists!!

All the best

Old 11-30-2017, 05:41 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by The Deputy
A secondary battery and maybe a solar charging system of some sort.
A sleeping area inside the rover, for those days when rain makes setting up the roof-top tent miserable/impossible.
The awning is a great idea, for those moments you just want to get out of the drivers seat for a bit.
Slide out storage system below sleeping area inside rover.
Brian.
Brian,
Again thanks for the advice, can you recommend any decent split chargers??
I'd had the idea to leave the rear seats in as long as possible and build the useable space around them so we can convert the space nearer the tie to a bed.
Awning and roof tent are on the list, think they were on their first too!!

All the best

Old 11-30-2017, 10:36 AM

For solar and dual battery setups try a dedicated overland forum, the basic electrical will be the same.

One other thing, tire repair kit and a good compressor NOT a cigarette lighter plug in one. ViaAir makes some decent units for around $100.00 US

You kinda of need to choose between a rooftop tent and sleeping inside.

I am a 5' 11" and I need to pull the 60% passenger seat and move the front passenger seat forward about 3 inches. That gives decent room for my sleeping platform. I do have room for stuff underneath the platform.

So if you go rooftop tent I would suggest getting a good quality one and look after it. You should be fine in almost all weather conditions - but really heavy rain for days at a time would not be much fun.

This will give you an idea, I was setup with everything I carry for 5 days except the 2nd 20 liters of fuel and a tarp. It is not as well organized as I want but everything fits and I do not really need a roof rack at this point.

Now I am a pretty basic guy who runs alone and when these images were taken I had the Disco for about a month and was going out for 2 days and loaded her up with everything as a test.

The following users liked this post:
Mr E (12-03-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Plywood cot, that's slick.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Spare belt, hoses/clamps, thermostat, heavy duty zip ties, silicone tape, and whatever else you can put in the vehicle with the associated tools.

And make sure your jack and lug wrench are in good working order.

Mr E (12-03-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Plywood cot, that's slick.
Actually funny you say that, I tried my old military fold up cot and a camping cot I borrowed. They were both very inefficient space wise and a little on the high side.

The plywood and fold up foam mattress work well, I customized the height for the storage bins I use underneath. It is a little "ghetto" but very functional and comfortable and seeing as I am nearly 60 comfort matters.

Of course the Disco is higher on the inside than my R50 Pathfinder was, so a cot might work now, but I like this setup.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:21 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

If your traveling through Europe and the UK then get yourself the TD5 D2 instead. Check the coil springs and consider upgrading to aftermarket heavy duty suspension if you plan on loading up your disco. Update your brake rotors and pads and change all fluids/lub and belts. Slap on some BFGoodrich All Terrain tires. 3 jerry cans. If you plan on sleeping inside the truck then remove the second row seating. Considering building a drawer system for all your gear. Minimum of 2 fire extinguishers. Basic tools, recovery gear and roadside kit (flashlight, triangles, jumper cables, tire repair kit etc). Good sized first aid kit. Probably gonna want a good roof rack and strong ratcheting straps to hold everything down. Consider covering interior windows for privacy and security. Check wheel bearings. Winch and an assortment of straps. Tall rain boots, rain gear, windproof waterproof coats, plenty of clothing especially socks. Gloves. Etc. Shovel and an axe. A dozen candles or more. Blankets, pillows and sleeping bag. Good travel companion.

Consider making photo copies of all identification documents (License, passport, insurance, references, vehicle registration and title, credit cards etc). Map out your entire route using mapquest and print out afew copies and print up a travel itinerary with specific details about where you will be traveling, pit stops, how long you plan on being there etc. That way if you get questioned you can show them your plans up front. Consider renting sat phone and make sure to bring both cash and card. Be aware of currency exchange fees. If you use a pocket wallet, get a dam good chain on it. If you have a spare key, find a safe secure place to store/hide it on the exterior of the vehicle where nobody else will find it. If you lose your primary key or it gets stolen you can still access and drive your vehicle.

Mr E (12-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Disco 2 Overland prep