Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 Problems

Hi Guys n Gals. I have had my 2002 Disco for about a year now with no real problems apart from the intermittent illumination of the ABS, TC and one other light I can't recall. Nothing seems to be affected, but these lights and the ding dong sound it makes are getting a little annoying. Anybody got any ideas?
Also today I changed the spark plugs at 60,000 miles and changed from Champion to Bosch Platinum 2. After changing them I took the Disco for a spin. To my annoyance I believe it is running on 7 and not 8 cylinders. I checked all the caps and leads and everything seems to be fine. To add even more frustration, the engine service light is now illuminated. This light has never come on before.
Could it be a bad plug? How do I get rid of that engine service light?
Thanks in advance. Jack.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Disco 2 Problems

This is the first time I have heard anyone mention a ding ding sound when there trio of brake lights comes on. If the ding was happening I would tell you to not worry about it but in your case, I would be concerned enough to suggest you go have the dealer or good Rover shop diagnois that problem. Have them check the check engine light at the same time. I doubt it is the plugs, I run Bosh Plus 4's and swear bu them. At your mileage, you should have changed out your plug wires, Rover wires break down pretty easily. That may be why you have a check engine light on, may have damaged a wire while removing the old plugs, this would cause misfires and throw on a warning light. If this is the case, I would suggest you order a set of Magancor wires from Rover Connection as replacements.
Mike

Old 10-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Overlanding

Hi Mike,
The ding ding only hapens when the lights illuminate. Like an attention getter. It is not a continuous sound.
Is there a way to check the leads before I purchase new ones? My dealer is hundreds of miles away, so I am going to have to deal with this myself. Do you know of any good web sites where I can get the leads in the USA? How do I get rid of the check light myself?
Cheers, Jack.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Overlanding

Mike,
I am going to be changing the fluids (rear and front axles, transmission, coolant, engine oil and brake fluid) on my 2002 Disco 2. Do you have any tips?
Cheers,
Jack.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Overlanding

Mike,
I have found on two sites where it says I need to change the intake manifold gasket when changing the plug wires. Is this true? If so, why?
Thanks, mate!
Jack.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jacksyachts

Mike,
I have found on two sites where it says I need to change the intake manifold gasket when changing the plug wires. Is this true? If so, why?
Thanks, mate!
Jack.

If you are going to remove the top half of the manifold, yes that is true.
Mike

Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your ding ding problem is similar to mine. Once in a while the lights pop on and it dings, which makes all riders crane their necks over toward the dash and say, "What's wrong with yer truck?!" Next time I start it the three lights are off until next time it decides to embarrass me. I've learned to ignore it since it's just once in a while and doesn't seem to be affecting brake performance.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Mudding

Jack,

Rover Connection is the name of the website to get the Magnacore 8mm wires (www.roverconnection.com). This is a very worthwhile upgrade. Some people (and the manual) say you have to remove the manifold to replace the wires, but I was able to do it without removing the manifold. It took a while and alot of contortion of my wrist, but I think it beat removing the manifold. Just do it one wire at a time to make sure you don't get them crossed. Get help from a friend with small hands if need be. If the check engine light is on because of a bad wire, I think it will clear itself a few starts after you fix the issue. If it persists, you will need to get the code read somewhere.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for all the advice. I have changed the wires to the 8mm Magnecor ones. Their is still a notable miss in top gear while cruising along. I think it must be a plug. The miss is not half as bad as it was before I changed the wires. Any suggestions?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jacksyachts

Thanks for all the advice. I have changed the wires to the 8mm Magnecor ones. Their is still a notable miss in top gear while cruising along. I think it must be a plug. The miss is not half as bad as it was before I changed the wires. Any suggestions?
If you want to PM me and send me your tele number. I'll call you when I get back later Saturday evening or on Sunday, we can talk abot you problem.
Mike

Quick Reply: Disco 2 Problems