Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 TD5 keeps cutting out, won't re-start. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 TD5 keeps cutting out, won't re-start. Help please!

Hi,

I have a one previous owner Disco 2 TD5 with 150k on the clock. It has a full service history and has been well looked after. I ran it for a year with no problems then it suddenly became difficult to start, having been perfect previously.

2 days later it cut out. The RAC man's diagnostic kit wouldn't 'talk' to my car but got it going by disconnecting the EGR valve and using easistart - a lot of smoke issued out for about half a mile on the way back home. It was due in for a service a couple of days later and the RAC guy suggested taking the EGR valve apart. The garage did this, cleaned it and fitted a new water hose from the expansion tank to the EGR pipe cooler.

A couple of days later it stopped again so I had it towed into the local LR dealer who had it for 3 weeks! They went through the car as they couldn't pick anything up through diagnostics and ended up renewing the engine bay and injector harnesses due to oil pollution and renewed the crank angle sensor.

It went for a couple of weeks and about 500 miles then stopped again. I had it towed into the LR dealer and they said it may be something else so went through the car again thinking it was a fuel delivery problem. They checked the fuel system front to back and found nothing wrong. I'm told the ECU is OK. They suggested I take the car back and try again.

I'm about to use it for a 400 mile round trip to my daughter's wedding and don't want it to break down on me filled to the gunwales with wedding stuff.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Keith Stewart

Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Fuel shut off solenoid?