Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 tranny issues

1st let me state i prefer a manual trans over an auto any day.. but i od love my disco 2. ive been working on discos in a local shop for a long time now never had i had to mess with the trannys .. always head gaskets oil pan gaskets and timing chain replacement .. but mine is having tranny issues and its kicking my butt,,,

Code that appears only when truck stalls after geting off free way ramp i s P0741 converter clutch solenoid

shifts hard time to time..

Serviced trans twice now fulid always looks new..

has alot of miles 185000

putting car in nuetral right before prevents stall but today was the first time it happened as soon as i put it back in drive imeadiate stall...

any ideas on fix with out replaceing trans just yet.. also trans shudders a little not horriable ..

replaced xyz switch

added shudder fix and lucas aditive to services,,

discomike could really use your wisdom..

Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like you've got a lockup solenoid valve that's going bad. It can be replaced but you have to remove the valve body in the transmission to do it. RAVE does a pretty good job explaining how. Not saying this is for sure what is wrong since I haven't seen it in person, but this is where I would start.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
Sounds to me like you've got a lockup solenoid valve that's going bad. It can be replaced but you have to remove the valve body in the transmission to do it. RAVE does a pretty good job explaining how. Not saying this is for sure what is wrong since I haven't seen it in person, but this is where I would start.
i should add its intermidant, kinda like the 3 amigos lights are intermidant on disco 2's,, dosent do it all the time ... some times it shifts great and others it will stall

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The D2 tranny has electric solenoid valves, so there are electric connections for them, connector is near the same one for the xyz switch.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The D2 tranny has electric solenoid valves, so there are electric connections for them, connector is near the same one for the xyz switch.
i saw it when replacing xyz switch looked clean and crud free so i left it alone.. it was my bosses idea to replace xyz switch with a known working good one to see if that fixed the issue.. he was a master tech at a land rover dealer b4 oping his own land rover speciality shop

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
4wd Low

besides a used one which i can pull off one of our parts trucks...
i cant seem to find a new one any where,,, and ideas??

Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one Land Rover Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories
But at that price you could probably get a used transmission. This is not a common failure, the auto trans on these is the most bulletproof component on it. If it was me, I'd be looking at either a local wrecking yard or contact one of the parts breakers that frequents this site.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM
4wd Low

Here's one Land Rover Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories
But at that price you could probably get a used transmission. This is not a common failure, the auto trans on these is the most bulletproof component on it. If it was me, I'd be looking at either a local wrecking yard or contact one of the parts breakers that frequents this site.
Holy cow that's pricey

Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Maybe take off the wire to that lock up solenoid.

You can drive around without it until you figure out what to do.
You will not get the great MPG.
But, just stay under 50MPH and it will not matter.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jfall
Maybe take off the wire to that lock up solenoid.

You can drive around without it until you figure out what to do.
You will not get the great MPG.
But, just stay under 50MPH and it will not matter.
Well sometimes it will bog down and almost die between red lights it's weird

Quick Reply: Disco 2 tranny issues