Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 won’t start again!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ahab. I think the same. She was running great all this days. Then suddenly it start misfiring and after that it doesn’t want to start. My CKPS is a brand new Bosch one. I already replaced twice. Sorry for this dumb question but where is the ECU located? I’m kind of new with Rovers.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

OK, just to be clear, there is a Cam Position Sensor (CPS) on the front of the engine and a Crank Position Sensor (CKPS) on the back. Are both of these new? You mentioned CPS above but I don't see a mention of a CKPS. I'm not sure if both of them would cause the same behavior however the ECU uses both of them to determine spark timing and fuel mapping. The ECU is located in the passenger footwell (US vehicles) behind a black trim panel. You should get a copy of the RAVE if you don't have one.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Ok sorry I got confused... I replaced the ckps. Haven’t try to replace the CPS. You think it could be that? Where can get the RAVE?

Old 06-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

Well, I don;t really know. Could be a simple loose wire on a knock sensor. Maybe the cam pos sensor.....these issues can be a real PITA to track down. One member replaced his driver fuse block to fix an intermittent electrical issue... just do one thing at a time... maybe a harness issue going to the coils....

Old 06-24-2020, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

The RAVE manual can be elusive however lucky you, check the 6th post in this thread. It's right under your nose!

Old 06-25-2020, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Hi guys. Still trying to find what is going on with my disco 2. Today I cleaned the hell out of the grounds, found one with a lot of rust and clean it pretty good. Still no start... exactly the same issue as before. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and nothing, clean the idle control valve again and throttle and nothing. Swap batteries for a fairly new one that I have on my other car, still no start. I think it have to be some kind of electrical issue. I got spark and fuel pressure. What is going on with this car?! I really love it but I really don’t know what else to check. Camshaft position sensor? Starter? Another thing I noticed is every time I crank the truck I got a strong smell, kind of a gas smell. Any thoughts?

Old 06-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

If you had spark then it would have stumbled with the starting fluid. You said earlier you replaced the Cam Position Sensor (front of the engine), but you haven't touched the Crank Position Sensor (back of the engine opposite of the starter) correct? You will not have spark or fuel if the Crank Position Sensor does not see the engine turn over.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosrecio123
Hi guys. Still trying to find what is going on with my disco 2. Today I cleaned the hell out of the grounds, found one with a lot of rust and clean it pretty good. Still no start... exactly the same issue as before. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and nothing, clean the idle control valve again and throttle and nothing. Swap batteries for a fairly new one that I have on my other car, still no start. I think it have to be some kind of electrical issue. I got spark and fuel pressure. What is going on with this car?! I really love it but I really don’t know what else to check. Camshaft position sensor? Starter? Another thing I noticed is every time I crank the truck I got a strong smell, kind of a gas smell. Any thoughts?
so you have spark ? And fuel What is it doing ? Does it just crank and crank without any attempt to start ??

The following users liked this post:
carlosrecio123 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:10 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Reading your first post you messed with the throttle body and it ran fine for a week

I don’t know much about this but is there a throttle position sensor ??

Old 06-25-2020, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Hi guys, I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor. The one in the back of the engine. I haven’t touch the camshaft sensor. I looked at it today and that area looks very dirty and hard to reach. What the truck does is just crank and crank and no start at all. Not even sputtered when I put starting fluid. You guys think a bad MAF sensor will do that? Right before she died on me she was stalling a lot at idle and I could notice a little loss of power. All this happened overnight, one day she was great and the next one she start acting up.

Quick Reply: Disco 2 won’t start again!!