Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 wont go into low range when hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 wont go into low range when hot

Hi, I have a 2003 Disco 2 that when you start up and its cold will transfer from high to low range without any problems. However, when the vehicle is hot maybe after 20 minutes of running, it will not transfer down to low range regardless of trying to crawl at 5mph in neutral or by putting it into reverse for two or three seconds and then trying to get it into low range.
If I switch off and let the vehicle cool down for an hour, it will drop into low range immediately, not good when its 100 plus degrees . But when I put it back into high range which it will do without any problems, it will not go back into low range (again while hot). Sometimes, if the rear wheels are higher than the front wheels, it will occasionally drop into low range without a problem, but I think that is a red herring.
I have changed the oil in the transfer box, checked the linkage is free and the solenoid on top of the transfer box up by the selector is firing okay.

Please, someone, any ideas?????? Totally perplexed guy

Old 11-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

No idea, post in the discovery 2 section,, you'll get some bites over there.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:22 PM
4wd Low

Hi, I have a 2003 Disco 2 that when you start up and its cold will transfer from high to low range without any problems. However, when the vehicle is hot maybe after 20 minutes of running, it will not transfer down to low range regardless of trying to crawl at 5mph in neutral or by putting it into reverse for two or three seconds and then trying to get it into low range.
If I switch off and let the vehicle cool down for an hour, it will drop into low range immediately, not good when its 100 plus degrees . But when I put it back into high range which it will do without any problems, it will not go back into low range (again while hot). Sometimes, if the rear wheels are higher than the front wheels, it will occasionally drop into low range without a problem, but I think that is a red herring.
I have changed the oil in the transfer box, checked the linkage is free and the solenoid on top of the transfer box up by the selector is firing okay.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:03 PM
4wd Low

Old 11-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Well you could try not starting a new thread on the exact same thing every time you log in. I've merged them all for convenience sake.

Are you getting a temp warning on the t-case?

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-02-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM
4wd Low

Sincere apologies over the duplicate threads.
I'm not getting any temp warning lights.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

You checked the fluid level to be sure I'm guessing. I'd almost wonder if the interlock solenoid is getting hot and binding not allowing the shift.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanC55

Just to be clear, you did check that the solenoid was retracting while the vehicle was hot and the problem was occurring?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 AM
4wd Low

Hi, The fluid levels are new and replaced. I've thought about the solenoid. Got underneath and watched it pop in and out as the vehicle is dropped into neutral and drive, but I think you may be right. At Land Rover here in Phoenix, there is an ex-Solihul technician who is perplexed as well. I think the cheaper option to look at is the solenoid. If that does not work, then it must be the transfer box itself??? The only other thing I'm considering is that with the vehicle being 11 years old, I don't think the transfer box (in terms of selecting low range) has been used before I purchased the vehicle, so its possible things could be a little tight in there. In the UK, you can purchase some fluid to put in diff's, gearboxes and engines called Molyslip. It is generally used when you have a bit of a worn diff, gearbox etc, but it puts a special coating on the gears / cogs that makes them suppler slippery and smooth. The only flip side is that the coating it puts on the gear / cogs takes up a bit of the play, but this stuff really is good.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the question. The solenoid seems to move in and out quite freely regardless of whether the vehicle is cold or very hot. Even when its moving appropriately, the lever will not drop into low range. So, its really odd.

I guess I'm now going to check the wiring for continuity to ensure its not a joint somewhere.

Quick Reply: Disco 2 wont go into low range when hot