Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco arb bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:05 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Disco arb bumper

Just got my arb bumper bolted it to the front looks super cool
this thing is basically bolted on with 4 bolts
which is super easy for someone to steal it
not that I live in a bad area but if someone wanted to take it would be pretty easy
have you ever had your bumper stolen

Old 09-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I welded the bolts on mine as I dont plan on taking it off anytime soon. 1 winter and the rust will make it hard to steal anyways

Old 09-23-2018, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Did you install 1/2 bolts when you installed the ARB? I highly suggest replacing the bolts with larger ones as the OEM Bolts were never meant to handle that much weight.

I've never had a bumper stolen. I've had Jeep Windows slashed, 2inch receiver hitches stolen, but that's it. You could certainly just get a few small spot welds added to keep it easy to grind off remove yourself, but difficult for the average thief to steal.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:11 PM
TReK

I used the oem bolts it sits on the bracket so the bolts are not taking the full weight

Old 09-23-2018, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
I used the oem bolts it sits on the bracket so the bolts are not taking the full weight
I think be means the bolts that hold those brackets (impact absorbers) on. They take the weight of the bumper. The ARB should have came with new brackets to replace the s***y aluminum oem ones

Old 09-23-2018, 03:57 PM
TReK

Yes I used the arb brackets and bolts

Old 09-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

I only mentioned it because (depending on the ARB Model SRS Compatible with crush cans or non SRS Compatible without crush cans) the last thing you want in a fender bender or small boo boo is for the bolts to bend/snap and then you'll have that huge chunk of steel free to really do some damage do your LR.

I always replace the OEM Bolts (That go thru the frame and hold the crush cans/brush guard/tow hook into place) with 1/2 Grade 8 bolts. The ARB Bumper I recently got for free broke off from the frame and really messed up the front of that 03 D2. They needed a new hood, fenders, lights, repaired front core support, and it was all because the install re-used the OEM Bolts. The ARB itself isn't even really bent up.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:52 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I only mentioned it because (depending on the ARB Model SRS Compatible with crush cans or non SRS Compatible without crush cans) the last thing you want in a fender bender or small boo boo is for the bolts to bend/snap and then you'll have that huge chunk of steel free to really do some damage do your LR.

I always replace the OEM Bolts (That go thru the frame and hold the crush cans/brush guard/tow hook into place) with 1/2 Grade 8 bolts. The ARB Bumper I recently got for free broke off from the frame and really messed up the front of that 03 D2. They needed a new hood, fenders, lights, repaired front core support, and it was all because the install re-used the OEM Bolts. The ARB itself isn't even really bent up.
did you get into accident

Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Nope not me, I was given an 03-04 ARB Bumper for free.

It was on an 03 D2, he didn't stop quick enough and rear-ended a pickup truck. The only part of the truck that made contact with the ARB Bumper was the 2inch Ball/Hitch Receiver. It went directly into the center of the ARB where the fairlead would mount. The OEM bolts were used to secure the ARB Crush Cans to the frame, they failed, and even 6 out of the eight bolts that secure the bumper to the Crush Cans failed (they were not grade 8 bolts so dunno if the installer just used some misc stuff they had or what). If the bumper had stayed mounted to the D2 the damage would have just been to the ARB Bumper/Crush Cans. However once it all broke free the entire bumper was able to lean back destroy the hood, front core support, headlights, front of the fenders, washer bottle ripped off, and the grill also was damaged.

The crush cans are supposed to absorb the impact, but since the bolts snapped they're not bent at all. I'm going to have the center of the bumper repaired by a friend and while it will never be 100% perfect a free 1200.00 to 1400.00 bumper isn't bad at all. All my D2's have ARB or TF bumpers so I'll stick it into my shop until it's needed.

The dudes 03 D2 is fixed and is now sporting a TF Front Bumper.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Did you install 1/2 bolts when you installed the ARB? I highly suggest replacing the bolts with larger ones as the OEM Bolts were never meant to handle that much weight.

I've never had a bumper stolen. I've had Jeep Windows slashed, 2inch receiver hitches stolen, but that's it. You could certainly just get a few small spot welds added to keep it easy to grind off remove yourself, but difficult for the average thief to steal.

got some nice grade 8 1/2 bolts installed today. Just to be sure

The following 3 users liked this post by redwhitekat:
Best4x4 (05-11-2020), Discorama (05-11-2020), Richard Gallant (05-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Disco arb bumper