Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco being really slow when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco being really slow when cold

hi all,
i've got a disco 1996 2.5 tdi auto. Could any one tell me why in the morning when i go to start the landy all is good untill i try to pull off? i can sit there with my foot to the floor and it will crawls away so slow that its nearly got my wife into trouble with other cars. once the engine has warmed up its no to bad but i would expect more from a 2.5 tdi. i feel sure its somthing to do with the gear box but not sure what. If any one has any idea id love to hear from you. THANKS Rich.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:32 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Disco being really slow when cold

I think most of are stuck with the V8's and are not up on the diesels.
I have a VW TDI and when that happens the intake is pluged up in the
VW's. Sorry, I wish we had the TDi's here.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Disco being really slow when cold

Hi Rich
Ive got a 300tdi manual and first thing in the morning immediately after start up the car is totaly dead up to the point where the turbo cuts in at around 1800 revs.The the problem can be getting the revs up to that point due to slight inclines.
I think alot of people who drive off from cold on level roads never notice the lack of power, but people like myself who have to start off up a slight incline can find them selves with foot to floor as you said and going very slow.
My engine is in good condition with everything set up correctly and has always been maticulously service with top quality oils.
When my engine is warm it will pick up quickly and is a pleasure.
Personally I think that the discovery's were slightly to high geared in 1st especially if like me you regually tow 3000kg!
I cant comment on your worries over the gearbox but I suspect Its just a normal tdi!
Hope this is of any help and that if you have got any problem its not serious!
Cheers James

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 AM
7th Gear

Hi,
Not wanting to hijack an old post, but I see that the original queston was never really resolved, I have exactly the same problem, even the wife part!!!
I have posted elsewhere regarding this but if there ever was a resolution to this problem could someone please let me know

Regards
Brent
Disco II 2005 TD5 Auto

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It is typical for most diesel engines to have little or no power after a cold start, especially for those people who never consider the minor maintenance that could be done to help this like a good fuel additive, a clean fuel filter, proper fuel distributor timing, a clean air filter and taking the vehicle out on the road and blowing it out once a month.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM
7th Gear

Hi Mike,
Understand exactly where you are coming from but mine was turned inside out by a landrover shop they checked the following:
1. Fuel pressure
2. Turbo boost pressure
3. Airflow meter
4. Throttle track
5. Compression
6. AAP sensor
7. Manifold pressure sensor
8. Injector clearances
9. Engine timing

Even the gearbox oil was replaced so we are all scratching our heads about this problem.
Oh, its more noticable when cold but still really bad even when the engine is warm

regards
Brent

Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That being the case, maybe the tranny is the issue, unfortunately you don't have a computerized tranny so it will be harder to diaginos, my thought is the tranny may not be building up pressure lioke a failing torque convertor.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
7th Gear

Hi Mike, forgive my asking but is a tranny a transmission? I did try a search for tranny but the results were unspeakable...

Regards
Brent

Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
7th Gear

Ah ha, I'm with you on this one Mike. Let me see if I get this right, knowing little about these vehicles (at this stage).
The low power problem, especially when the vehicle gets moving is similar to someone riding the clutch on a manual, it was how I described it in an email to my local landrover guy. So I'm wondering, is there a mechanism that prevents the revs from getting too high when the vehicle is not moving (i.e. something slipping), resulting in the Disco standing still but reving only to 1000 rpm? Now when it does get moving, albeit very slowly the revs do rise but something inside the transmission is still not properly engaged so it revs a little more but still not much grunt. Then suddenly when you are moving at about 20kms per hour the revs jump into the turbo range and all of a sudden there is enough power, the "slipping" seems to have gone and away you go.
Am i right in assuming that the higher your revs and revs are the more "grip" you have in your torque converter?

Regards
Brent

Last edited by Brent Hudson; 11-28-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 AM
7th Gear

Ok read up in the manual regarding gearbox stall test and got 1650 rpm according to the manual this means reduced engine power, i.e. between 1300 and 2600.
Does this mean I can rule out torque converter issues

Quick Reply: Disco being really slow when cold