Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Bttery

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Bttery

Hi can any one advice if a 75 Ah battery is ok to fitt in Discovery II year 2000

Old 01-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The RAVE spec is 72 amp hour, but in selecting a battery you want to also consider getting the largest CCA (cold cranking amps) number, when deciding between the basic and higher priced battery. And putting in a larger amps battery is fine as long as it fits in the space, and teminals don't come close to touching the hood. The 130 amp alternator is running the truck and can handle two batteries.

Plan on a new battery every three years. It's built to fade, battery companies also build ones that will last 20 years that are used by the phone company. If your battery dies while you are on a trip or tight budget, junkyards pull them out and sell the newer ones for like $25.

The starter draws 1800 watts, and for a split second can draw 400 amps or so, due to the "in-rush" of the coil. So the larger CCA rating means a given battery will do a better job of starting the truck on a cold morning. Trucks that are parked outside in the wind chill have a tougher time than those that live inside a garage.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 AM
4th Gear
Smile Thank you for your reply,

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The RAVE spec is 72 amp hour, but in selecting a battery you want to also consider getting the largest CCA (cold cranking amps) number, when deciding between the basic and higher priced battery. And putting in a larger amps battery is fine as long as it fits in the space, and teminals don't come close to touching the hood. The 130 amp alternator is running the truck and can handle two batteries.

Plan on a new battery every three years. It's built to fade, battery companies also build ones that will last 20 years that are used by the phone company. If your battery dies while you are on a trip or tight budget, junkyards pull them out and sell the newer ones for like $25.

The starter draws 1800 watts, and for a split second can draw 400 amps or so, due to the "in-rush" of the coil. So the larger CCA rating means a given battery will do a better job of starting the truck on a cold morning. Trucks that are parked outside in the wind chill have a tougher time than those that live inside a garage.
thanks 4 your answer , what would be considerd a large CCA

Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Three Wheeling

From my research, a basic landrover needs 600 cold cranking amps. I used to have a Pontiac that required 950 cca, but it had power everything. My rover (1995) battery has 600 but you can find one that has more cca.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you want at least 800 cold cranking amps

Last edited by drowssap; 01-20-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have 1000CA, you can always go bigger on the amps than what is recommend, as long as the battery fits in its spot.
I got mine at AutoZone.