Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco / Disco II - everyday SUV or "extra" vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco / Disco II - everyday SUV or "extra" vehicle?

I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on this topic....some people have 2 or 3 LR's, some use primarily for off-road, etc. How many of you use it for your primary every-day vehicle? I will begin to use my 01 D2 every day starting tomorrow (sold my Expedition and my other car is a 99 Jag XK8 conv). Most of my mechanic friend / clients (who owns shops) say "Wow - ok, you own a 99 XK8 and a Rover Disco....what are you thinking???" That said, I understand neither are low maintenance or trouble-free, but they are both a joy to own, and I have a good mechanic who doesn't take me to the cleaners, and I have found that LR parts are VERY reasonable if you know who to buy from. I'm just curious to know how you all feel about your Disco's in terms of depending on them as an every-day driver?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've depended on a Land Rover as a daily driver for the last 30+ years.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Depends on the season and/or the trip.

My Saab 93 convertible is my primary driver during the warmer months and on winter days when I don't expect snow. Although Saabs generally go well in the white stuff, the Z rated Goodyears it wears aren't at all snow friendly.

Despite it being several years older and having almost twice as many miles, it's also my go to road trip car. It gets great gas mileage, rides and handles nice, and the covertible makes it an all around fun ride.

With all the snow we've been having, though, the Disco is the primary driver for now. Since I only work 3 miles from home, I'm not overly inconvenienced should it go "Antichrist" on me. I also do light offroading...again, close to home.

And it's funny this topic came up. Despite owning my Disco for almost two years, I've never had it more than a few hours from home. I honestly don't know how far I can drive on the highway from full to empty.

We're planning a trip to DC this weekend and are opting to take the Disco over my SOs generally bulletproof Xterra. The reason? Get this, the Disco actually gets better fuel economy...

Anyway, I've mixed feelings taking it on a 6 hour trip each way. It's untested over that distance, and given the problems I've had (oil pump, head gaskets, XYZ switch, Amigos), I've well less than 100% confidence in it. So, I'm hoping that this trip will be a team building exercise for my Disco and me.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven mine for 5 years as a daily driver. It's never left me on the side of the road, almost but not yet. I try to keep ahead of things before they get too bad now. Also I drive my toyota more because of the price of gas.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's been my daily commuter vehicle for three years, as well as my road trip vehicle. It's taken me from Texas to Maine, Ohio to Florida, and 23 trips back and forth between Columbus, OH and Louisville, KY all without a problem. Only time it left me on the side of the road was when the water pump blew on a 15 minute commute home. The Summer of '08 was a little rough when I was paying $91.50 to fill the gas tank, but other than that, it's been wonderful!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Mudding

i got my d1 specifically for my daily. no issues

Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Three Wheeling

I drive mine every day.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Drifting

I got mine as a daily driver, and have no regrets, except for the power steeering leak I am currently working on (Thanks Mike!). She's been with me since 11-08 at 96,000, and now I just cleared 118k. The items I have addressed in my repair list are just things that got on my nerves, but mechanically, this thing is a beast, and at the risk of angering the rover gods, I have not had anything go wrong that I couldn't handle with RAVE or the help of the rover disciples on this forum.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Mudding

Interesting replies....keep them coming!

I will post pictures of my 01 SE7 in the coming weeks, as I am currently having it wrapped from top to bottom for my company. I don't think I've ever seen a Rover vehicle wrapped before, so this one should turn some heads! I've got the ARB winch bumper with PIAA lights, full Safari Rack, rear ladder, and will be installing a Rovertyme lift with 265/75/16 tires in the next couple of weeks.

See the attachment for the wrap
- it's going to be pretty slick. Crossing my fingers on keeping the Rover going 7 days a week, but my fears are only b/c of my bad experiences with head gasket issues years ago with my '99 Disco (twice in 7K miles). I've learned quite a bit since then (from this website -thank you) so I'm stoked to be in a Rover again on a daily basis!

Attached Thumbnails Disco / Disco II - everyday SUV or "extra" vehicle?-wrap.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM
4wd Low

More an extra than anything. Prefer a small sporty car for everyday driving. I'm an auto enthusiast, I like anything with wheels that has character, and a Land Rover has plenty of it. Unless your weathly you really have to be an "enthusiast" to drive a land rover in my opinion because of all the quirks and etc that go along with it. If not you would drive a subruban. But its worth it because of its character. Same reason I buy sets of tires 3 times a season, spend more on maintance than my cars, just to ride a high performance street bike. It has character, and I absolutely love it.

Quick Reply: Disco / Disco II - everyday SUV or "extra" vehicle?