Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco / Disco II - everyday SUV or "extra" vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daily driver for me for five years. Love it. Pretty much everything has been said above. You gotta love these things to drive them daily. I have had a lot of cars. Loved them all, but this is the first rig I really think I will keep until it goes to that great big Land Rover heaven someday...

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

My rover is a daily driver here, i have had my disco ii for only a couple of months. I have had to replace the fuel pump, and i had a idler pulley go out on me. I am pretty sure the pulley was my fault due to lots of mud in the engine compartment (see avatar) and said mud spun a bearing.

My goal with the whole daily driver situation is to get a smaller car (hopefully a IS350 or 335i) and dedicate the Rover to off road and poor weather situations!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

168k and counting...

every day during the winter, my summer car is a Vespa... My commute is 11 miles one way.

knock on wood, she's been super reliable.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Daily driver for almost 3 years and never once not got me home.
I would drive her to Brazil and then turn around and drive her to Nome Alaska and then back home to Michigan and not even think twice.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

Great forum....timely topic. Bought my 2000 Disco II in 2002 with 32K miles. Drove it every day until it had 211K miles. In October 2008 front drive shaft took out the transmission. Put it in storage! In December 2008 bought a 2006 LR3 with 17K miles. Picked it up in Dallas (I'm from Oklahoma) and drove straight to Pasadena, California. Then drove the Pacific Coast Highway from Malibu to the southern border...back to Pasadena...on home to Oklahoma. I have been driving it everyday since. As we speak, it has 72K miles. With my recent retirement, I decided I would bring the 2000 Disco back to life by having a salvaged transmission put in. After joining another forum about 3 months ago & this one last week, I decided to slowly convert the 2000 to an off-road vehicle by doing my own work on it. I'm getting ready to tackle my first big repair...the throttle body heater gasket. (Thanks to the fantastic pics & guidance on this forum & helpful words from Disco Mike on the other forum) These days, I drive the LR3 back & forth to Tulsa (about 100 miles) and the Disco II around town. To answer the original question...if you have to make a choice, driving a Land Rover everyday is the way to go! (Sorry if I strayed from the topic...got carried away). Glad to be a member of this forum.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Three years and other than a new windscreen yesterday, nothing but routine fluids. Otherwise a very reliable truck (100k) with a very pleasant personality.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My DII is my daily driver as well. I commute for work 65 miles, 3 times a week (less than a mile the other 2-3 work days)....111K and couting...it splits time as my off road toy with the FJ40

Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I drove from Northern VA to the end of Long Island, NY the NIGHT of the epic Dec snowstorm that hit the east coast, in a one-way rental.. through hours of traffic. Left Long Island at 1:30AM with my "new" '99 Disco II.. headed down the turnpike and hit the storm (which was headed North, so I knew I would) and got to test out the rover in the snow the FIRST few hours I had it!

The next few days were really fun. I've only ever owned RWD manual trans sports cars (M3, Mustang GT) which can't get over a 2 degree slope on snow haha.

So I bought it as an emergency winter car / road trip car / "utility" vehicle to drive to friends houses that lived off gravel or rough roads.

Well let's just say that our average annual snowfall is 21.2", our record annual snowfall is 61.9". SO FAR this year we've had 74.5"!

I went to start the mustang after 2 weeks of sitting, and the battery was totally dead haha. I finally got it jumped and attempted to take it for a spin to get the fluids moving. Well, I'll let the picture speak for itself:

Yes, that's all it takes to get stuck.

I just checked, and I've actually put nearly 2000 miles on the Disco since I got it less than 2 months ago! So much for a "occasional use" =)

The more I drive it, the more I'm falling for the whole "land rover" cult deal. It really is a cool vehicle, especially in the snow - over the past few snowstorms and blizzards it's proven itself HANDS DOWN as one of the most capable vehicles on the road (over light-duty AWD SUVs, 4WD pickups, etc.)

It's just as quirky as I expected, but my fix-it list is getting smaller every day and I'm proud of where things stand considering she's 11 years old with 150,000 miles!

edit: As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about selling the 'stang in the spring (when the market is strong) and getting an LR3. However with the INSANE winter we've had, it'll be harder to sell the 'stang for top-dollar, and harder to find the LR3 I want at a decent price (V8, white, NAV, HK, preferably HSE)

Last edited by EstorilM; 02-13-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Three Wheeling

I only drive my DI on payday, when it's snowing, or on short trips. I can't afford to drive it to work everyday. I think it's very reliable, my other car had issues so I drove it for 3 weeks straight, I was kind of sad when I got the car back...but I was totally penniless, spending $20 every other day. But I'm pretty sure I'm the lowest income person on this forum.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive mine daily. I just booked my spring break hotel in florida. From Grand Rapids MI, to Fort Lauderdale Fl will be over 3,000 round trip. It will be all Disco. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: Disco / Disco II - everyday SUV or "extra" vehicle?