Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco / Disco II - everyday SUV or "extra" vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my hobbies is checking out remote hot springs. I was too whimpy to take my Cayenne too far off road into the nasty stuff, but was getting tired of having to hike an "extra" 5 miles when I could easily have driven a good portion of it in a truck with good clearance. Found a guy on Craigslist about a year ago that had a '95 DI for sale, in what appeared to be an insanely low price. I ended up purchasing the thing for under a grand and as I started to investigate all the "issues", I was pleasantly surprised to find that all the major stuff had been taken care of.

Replaced the idle control valve and the rest was just tuneup matters. Had a busted belt in a front tire responsible for the bulk of the death wobble, and the remaining wobble was cured simply by tightening up suspension bolts. Some one busted the window during a breakin 2 weeks ago, and I got lucky that a Disco had just been dropped off at a self service wrecking yard. I went out to grab a new glass, but ended up raping that truck - and now have spares for practically the entire vehicle for under $300. All told, I'm into the thing for less than 2 grand, and would not hesitate to drive it cross country on a moment notice. She purrs like a kitten, and I've taken her 40 miles off road deep into the Idaho wilderness without narry a worry. I've put about 7,000 miles on it in the past year (mostly traveling to hot springs), and that represents about 1/3rd of my annual miles. So technically it's a part time driver. I like it so much that I've been contemplating trading the Cayenne for a proper sports car (and so my eco friendly neighbors will stop giving me the death stare for being a single guy with 2 gas sucking SUV's in the garage...)

Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2, both daily drivers, except when they're in the shop
starter, alternator, head gaskets, water pump, leaking transmission, busted coolant tank....blown fuses and so on