Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco doesnt want to kick in at start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 02:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco doesnt want to kick in at start.

Hello,
OK..I'm going to jump right in with this question. We bought a 1995 Disco last week and up till now things were running great. I bought gas two days ago (premium) then my husband drove it to work yesterday and told me it the car wasn't running as smoothly as it had been. This morning he tried to start it up but it just doesn't want to kick in. Up till now it started right up on the first try. I don't know if one (the gas) has to do with the other (the start up). Our LR shop is over 30 miles away...so I would hate to have it towed there...esp. if its something simple enough for us to deal with. Any ideas where we should start?

Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Winching
Default RE: disco doesnt want to kick in at start.

Ash, You need to be more specific. Does the engine turn over/crank ? Battery OK ?

Bait

Old 02-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Would be surprised if it is the fuel, unless, the garage had contaminated the fuel storage tanks with diesel. Land Rover engines are generally very forgiving with regard to fuel quality.

Did you run the Disco to empty before you filled it back up? If so, dirt could have been sucked up from the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter. I am not sure if the filter is located at the tank or in the engine bay for that particular year, as I know they chanegd the location at some point.

As Bait says, can you give more information with regard to how it sounds when you turn the key. It would help rule out some of the possabilities.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:43 AM
4wd Low

The battery is fine. It cranks but just doesn't turn over. It will occasionally sound like its about to start up...but it never does.

The gas was at a little over a 1/3 tank when I filled it up.

Thanks Lighting and Bait!

Old 02-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Winching

Ash,

You need to start with the basics. Fuel, Compression, Ignition. To give you an educated guess... As Lighting said it is most likely not A fuel quality problem. The fuel filter is located in the right rear wheel well. FYI ; all automotive locations are described as if you are sitting in the drivers seat. This does not matter between Left hand drive or right hand drive as long as you refer to it as R/R right rear, L/F left front, etc.

Check the ignition coil connections at the L/F of the vehicle. Prone to GFS ( green fussy sheet ). Also check the connections at the distributor. If you have A two prong connector, you have the old module. New module has A weather pack three prong connector.

Let us know what you find.

Bait

Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 AM
4wd Low

Bait,

Thank you for the great advice...sometimes someone telling you the basics can make it all start to make sense. I appreciate it. We will be checking the truck out this weekend...kids events have us occupied for the next two days...he he...but I'll let you know what we find.

BTW...by GFS...do you mean corrosion? He He...I just don't have the lingo down yet.
I used to help my father out with all our cars when I was younger...yes, I was a tomboy...but its been a few years. So I feel like I have to learn this all over again. Our LR shop isn't right down the street...so there are some things we will just have to deal with ourselves.

Thanks again,
ash

Old 02-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Let us know how you get on, another check, take each spark plug out and rest against the engine while it is still connected and get someone to try and start it, just a quick turn so you can see the spark. this is a simple way to check the ignition system, though do not hold the spark plug, hold the cable, don't want you getting an electric shock.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Winching

Ash,

Yep ! GFS = corrosion. Also could be loose terminals. Do yourself A favor. If the ignition coil has the original spade type terminals on it, replace them. By spade I mean A flat wide male connector that plugs into A flat wide female connector. Replace them with A ring and eye set up. If they are not bad now they will be shortly.

Bait

Old 03-07-2005, 12:38 PM
4wd Low

Hi Bait and Lightning,
Sorry it took so long to get back with you. The truck has been in the shop a lot. The problem ended up being the starter, the spark plugs and so many other little things. After a few visits for other things as well...she is running now...lol....but we will probably be back to the shop soon. Yesterday we noticed a swooshing or gurgling sound...at times it almost sounds like there is a bird running around in the engine....augh. Perhaps its another belt. Who knows?

Thanks for your help!!!!
ashby[&:]