Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco hard to control

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco hard to control

Hey guys so there is only one road I have this problem on, but the Disco is very hard to control. It is kind of uneven and bumpy.

I have put over a thousand miles and have not had this issue anywhere else.

Any ideas ? I have about 99500 miles now and I think original suspension.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it only happens on this one specific road (uneven and bumpy) then I think you have answered your own question.

Unlike independent suspension, the solid front axle on these wonderful trucks will have this effect on those types of roads.

Other things that can cause this effect are tires worn uneven, low tire pressure and the type of tires (off road M/T) being used. But as you said, it only happens on that particular road.

Cheers

Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wont matter how great your suspension is. on the solid axle trucks like we have its not gonna absorb bumps like a IFS on uneven roads.

but if your unsure check tire pressures and wear. make sure your springs are not busted. you can try replacing your steering stabilizer as thats cheapish and easy.

beyond that its probably just a bad road for ya

Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LundRover
Hey guys so there is only one road I have this problem on, but the Disco is very hard to control. It is kind of uneven and bumpy.

I have put over a thousand miles and have not had this issue anywhere else.

Any ideas ? I have about 99500 miles now and I think original suspension.
Just go push down on each corner of the bumper. If it is easy to push and you have lots of bounce, totally time for shocks. I need them too and will be shopping soon as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You might even have a broken spring. I hear it's pretty common in places where it gets cold, and where they salt the roads. Neither of those are true about where I live, most of the time anyway... and my D1 had a broken spring in the back, and it acted very squirrelly driving over bumps and stuff. It was hard to notice... you could see a crack in the coating, and the coils at the bottom of the spring were closer to each other on one side of the disco versus the other side.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I'll check pressure, springs and shocks.

Sadly I have to take this highway everyday and it's scary! I took a roadtrip and truck did fine otherwise.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem, my tires were worn badly due to previous owner not keeping the tires rotated along with correct air pressure. Once the new tires were on, she treks nicely.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Another thing you can try is DiscoMike's power steering flush and replacement of the steering stabilizer.

I did both many years ago and the difference is night and day in how the truck handles.

Here is how I did the power steering flush:

Get cheap(ish) ps fluid, 1 bottle Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and good synthetic ps fluid.

Use a turkey baster and remove the PS fluid from the reservoir. Fill it up with the cheaper ps fluid.

Start the truck and turn from right stop to left stop several times.

Repeat the above steps until the fluid you remove is mostly new.

On the last fill, use a bottle of the Lucas and fill the rest with the synthetic fluid.

As for the steering stabilizer, most of us use the OME stabilizer available at Atlantic British (or other rover places).

Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Worn Tie Rods/Ball Joints will cause the truck to "wander" on the highway and make it hard to control and keep centered.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Worn Tie Rods/Ball Joints will cause the truck to "wander" on the highway and make it hard to control and keep centered.
Yep. They don't even have to be worn, they can just be loose. On my D1, I went to check the direction the tie rod end threaded in, to make sure I odered the right part. The castle nut was just finger tight. The power steering box was leaking fluid all over it. I don't know if it helped it loosen.... but after I tightened it, everthing was great.

I think I recall a thread where someone recommends tightening all the nuts and bolts under the rover regularly...

Quick Reply: Disco hard to control