Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco I 94: Window Regulator or Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco I 94: Window Regulator or Motor?

I brought my disco 94 into my mechanic(non land rover) to try to fix my front passenger and driverside window.. he ran an electric test he told me that he believes the motor is dead and told me to find one at a salvage and he would put them in... However I have heard this problem could be a regulator problem as well. Is it possible to find out if the window problem is a regualtor or a motor.. I would hate to buy one and it be the problem with the other.. Also does anyone have pages scanned from the land rover fix it manual dealing with the window? can someone also list some good land rover salvage companies that I could call to find these parts..

Cheers,

zb

Old 07-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Winching
Default RE: Disco I 94: Window Regulator or Motor?

What Country are you from and what is the actual problem with your windows ?

Old 07-17-2005, 01:21 PM
4wd Low

If you can feel a small thump when you hit the window button then its probably the regulator. Its the plastic wheels that go.

Best thing is to take the padding out and confirm which one it is

Old 07-18-2005, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

where would I feel the thump? I hear a clicking fromt he area where the motor I assume would be when I hit the window button... I live in los angeles, ca USA.

zb

Old 07-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Rock Crawling

First things first. it is probably the regulator on the window. It is not that frequent that the motor will fail. Without taking the door panel off there is little way of telling exactly what the problem is. You did not say wether the window was working or not. The regulator has a pair of polyurethene wheels that ride in the window track. they wear out. usually a flat spot on the wheel. Make sure what the problem is before you buy parts. Even used rover parts can be expensive. What i first suggest you do is get either a haynes manual or the land rover shop manual. The procedure for replacing the regulator is not difficult. it is a pain in the butt. Not alot of dissassembly but difficult to reach bolts and figuring out the right angles to put you hand and getting the regualtor out. Places to find parts for disco's. There is a list in the search section of the forum with business and web sites. They are a good place to start. Do a general net search for land rover parts. The most expensive place is the dealer. If you do buy used parts and they are not the problem make sure you can return them if they are not the problem. The key to the rover is maintanence. Get it right, keep it right, and fix theys as they happen. Use the forum for solutions and advice. Do as much on your rover as you can. you will get to know the vehicle. mine is a 96 disco. 130k and still going strong. hope it helps. Gotta love a rover. duboff