Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco I Gas Tank Removal Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Disco I Gas Tank Removal Questions

Gentlemen,

In my quest to solve my current problem with my gas lines, I have decided based on the condition of major sections of the metal line corrosion-wise, I will replacing it from the tank all the way to the engine compartment.

I reviewed and printed the Rave pages that apply, but I am wondering if the gas pump can be disconnected but left installed in the gas tank if that makes any sense. If not I saw a special tool for pump removal, is there another metod or alternative.

All input appreciated. I will be fabbing the tubing, I did a couple of practice pieces, pretty straight forward.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, you can remove the tank with the pump installed. Just lift the carpet in the boot to get to the access cover, removed it, and disconnect the lines and electrical connections.
Disconnect your battery earth lead before you start.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Baja

Tom,

Thaks for confirmation, part just came in from AB ordered Thursday around noon, FedEx rolled in SAT 11:45. I got a date with "Rusty".

Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Baja

Guys,

As I pulled the cover and saw the electrical and gas lines right there, I am wondering if dropping the tank is necessary or a lot of extra effort.

I'm thinking I can just disconnect and fish them out with tank left in place, anyone familar with this effort?

Just replacing reusted plumbing, want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks again for help.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

danny i would not take the tank out no need too u can get all the lines out without removing it.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Tom,

Thaks for confirmation, part just came in from AB ordered Thursday around noon, FedEx rolled in SAT 11:45. I got a date with "Rusty".
FedEx rocks dont they?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
FedEx rocks dont they?

lol spike

Old 04-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Spike555
FedEx rocks dont they?
Castaway is probably your favorite movie too.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Baja

Yeah, you can probably leave the tank in place. I have a body lift on mine so 2 extra inches of space. I couldn't remember if there was room to fish them out normally or not.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Baja
Default Update: Gas Tank/Lines Removal

You guys rock......... This is where I am currently at with this project. I removed the panel, that end is terribly corroded and filthy as well. Started spraying PB Blaster, amazing amount of grime/crud acccumulation. Both fittings rusted solid. I decided for ease of removal, a big ****ing knife on the short sections of rubber hose here was appropriate. Sprayed fittings, cleaned area well with Mean Green straight up and Bounty.

Went back to the wheel well for the brake lines, found the pruning snips with the 3ft handles worked well for that added leverage for simplified removal. I have pics of the aftermath. Now I can run fresh all the way from tank to inside of engine compartment.

However, one of the white plastic nipples where the fitting comes out of the fuel pump has an old crack obvious with the black crud infiltrating it.
The service consultant at A&L told me they had replaced the tank under warranty " because the customer complained of a strong fuel odor". I asked if they replaced anything else at the time, he said no. I fully believe the crack either existed and was overlooked or may have happened during their repair. I am sure that is why everything had the heavy accumulation of grime.

Now the next question: Does the crack require the replacement of the fuel pump or is that piece replaceable or what can you fellows tell me?

The adventure continues.

A side note, AB sent the wrong part for the Transfer case temp sensor that I previously screwed up. Right description, different part. and they are only open M-F. What a bummer.

The challenge continues to morph in new and interesting areas, kind of like the Star Trek theme huh.......

I prefer "Happy Trails to You" now who among you can identify the duo that sang this song to us weekly?

Quick Reply: Disco I Gas Tank Removal Questions