Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II 03 engine ticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Turbodave, didnt you end up doing top hat liners?

Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodave
No, you have it wrong... Here are the usual suspects list:
  • SAI / exhaust / flex plate issues can happen at any operating temperature- From the testimonials on here, many have experienced flex plate and it's associated ticking noises only at operating temp and understand exhaust and SAI noises can happen in all temp ranges
  • Slipping liner ONLY happens as the engine warms up- Like I said, when cold or not at operating temp.
  • Valvetrain noises usually only happen as the engine warms up - unless it is really bad!- Agreed!
Just thought I would clarify a couple of things

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 12-31-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must have missed all the posts about flex plates only making noise when the engine was upto operating temps...
Please feel free to quote them....

Last edited by turbodave; 12-31-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 AM
JBA
3rd Gear

Thanks for the input, waiting to talk with the mechanic today. @Savannah Buzz-the 20lbs. is at idle, I know he hasn't road tested. @SolbergFanBoi-the noise is coming from the top of the engine, would that eliminate the possibility of a cracked flex plate? @turbodave-if it were a slipped sleeve wouldn't it have coolant leak/loss and/or white smoke from the exhaust?
Again, thanks for the input, pretty hard to diagnose without getting to lay hands on the rover...maybe I need a faith healer to "lay hands" upon the engine.

Last edited by JBA; 01-02-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You wont get any coolant loss from slipped liners unless there is a crack in the block behind the liner. The liners are not supposed to be in contact with the coolant, so a crack would be a problem slipped liner or not. I just replaced the oil pump on mine because I was in the vin range and I also had a tick and I wanted to be sure it wasnt coming from oil pump gears being cracked. My gears looked fine, with 110k miles on them they are not the source of my tick. My big end bearing also looked good and from what I could see of my flex plate with the pan off it looked good too. Its the liners ticking around and it really is no big deal just annoying.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Mudding

Slipped liners= generally just annoying tapping/ticking at startup and warmup and could last the life of the vehicle without anything really going wrong. Like the OP said, just ANNOYING!

To answer your other question, if you really zeroed in on it being from the top of the engine, not likely a flex plate but I wouldn't rule it out since it would be coming from the bellhousing area which attaches to the rear of your engine block.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 PM
4wd Low

I've got an 04 with 89k and the same thing just started happening and it freaked me out I thought it might be something catastrophic. It still runs fine no leaks or oilburn etc... Just ticks when it warms up and it intermittent. Only at idle if I place my foot on the gas and the rpms go up over 800 it goes away. It's very annoying at a drive thru window. Doesn't sound like any easy fixes.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by DUBLJDISCO2
I've got an 04 with 89k and the same thing just started happening and it freaked me out I thought it might be something catastrophic. It still runs fine no leaks or oilburn etc... Just ticks when it warms up and it intermittent. Only at idle if I place my foot on the gas and the rpms go up over 800 it goes away. It's very annoying at a drive thru window. Doesn't sound like any easy fixes.
what is up with the vin thing was that only 2003 year?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO you would be wise to have a manual oil PSI test done. This would detect if oil pump was failing. It can pump at lower pressure, enough to keep the light off, (7 PSI), but not the 50 PSI that is speced for your year at 2000 rpm warmed up.

The cracked pump ticks, but you might not be able to hear it at all rpm or temp ranges.

Attached Thumbnails Disco II 03 engine ticking-oil-pump.jpg  
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What about during warmup randomly maybe once maybe twice I hear one TICK.. not really loud... just .... TICK once maybe after 2 minutes and then maybe another few minutes later and then none.. and sometimes none at all cold or warm... just random and within first lets say 5 minutes... ive only heard it while playing with engine at idle...

Quick Reply: Disco II 03 engine ticking